A Late Arrival

The dinner had been wonderful so far. I was in great company and plenty of upside-down plates had been circulated around the table. Mentally, I felt a million times more relaxed since coming into the knowledge that my loved ones weren't going out of their mind with worry up above.

Spirit and I had been talking to a merman on my right, who lived way outside Evergreen in the middle of nowhere. He had told us all about the wild sea animals that roamed past his home, including a whale, with whom he had formed an unlikely bond.

"He ate my whole front garden – it was packed with shrimp – and then to add insult to injury, he took up residence in the vacant space. I was exasperated at first, but after some time we became firm friends," the merman had laughed. "He became the family pet for quite a few months. We called him Mo."

I giggled excitedly. I want a pet whale too! I had always thought them nice, big gentle animals - a bit like an elephant.

Spirit, on the other hand, was not so impressed. "Blubbery great bastard," he muttered, tossing a capsule into his mouth.

"Hey!" I shrieked, turning to him. "He was a nice whale!"

"They are not as lovable as you think," said Spirit, looking at me with mild amusement. "They are big pests; like the seagulls you see on the beaches stealing children's food. Only you can't say no because they are so massive. You have to end up giving it your entire dinner."

I giggled hysterically at the thought of a whale stealing Spirit's dinner. I bet he would have been so pissed. It felt so good to laugh, something I had not done much of lately.

The merman to the right didn't appear to take any offense. "It's true, they are," he laughed. "They will take everything they can get from you and then they get up and leave. Just like Mo."

"Actually, it sounds just like some mermaids," said Spirit, raising an eyebrow.

I glanced at him and my laughter faded a little. That was rather telling.

A merman came around with a big box of Camuls and I took a couple. I would say every Camul was equivalent to a couple of sips of wine, which meant you had to have about five to feel nice and tipsy.

Spirit and I had not exactly been holding back, and I was feeling relaxed.

"So, where were you all these seasons, anyway?" he asked, resting his elbows on the table and looking at me. The other merman had turned away to talk to his other neighbor, and we were left to ourselves.

I looked back at him, into his eyes. They were grey-blue like mine.

"I was studying," I replied, leaning back into a comfy curved nook in the rock.

He frowned. "Learning?" he clarified.

"Yeah, I guess. Most of us choose a subject we enjoy and then go and study it extensively at a place called University."

"Hmm," he said. "Well, what did you choose?"

"Oh, I chose History," I said reaching for another Camul. It was kind of strange speaking with him about these things. In fact, it was actually really odd to be having a conversation with him, full stop.

"History?" he repeated.

"Mmhmm," I said. "Human history, obviously."

"Yes, yes, I understand," he said. "I just didn't think you would choose that subject; that's all."

I smiled. It was not the first time somebody had said that to me. Everybody was always shocked when I told them I studied History. They didn't think I could be that geeky, I suppose.

"Yeah, lots of people say that," I replied.

"I didn't think you would be that serious," he said. "I see you as... quite a light spirit."

I giggled. Quite a light spirit was definitely kinder than not that geeky.

"Yes, well maybe History is a bit intense," I admitted, "but I just kind of always saw myself going around digging things up, discovering secrets about the past."

"Yes," he said, "you are quite curious, I can see that."

"What do you do anyway?" I asked. "Asides from impaling things?"

He rolled his eyes and smiled. "I make things too."

"What things?" I asked, intrigued. I knew there was something creative about him.

Suddenly there was the sound of urgent splashing and we turned. Some of Tairise's men swam into the room.

"Apologies Tairise, but there is an elderly man outside the palace door. We don't want to interrupt your dinner, but he looks like he may collapse."

Tairise rose from his seat; his colossal green eyebrows clenched.

"Open the door!" he commanded.

The men nodded and disappeared. I looked at Spirit worriedly.

There was a grinding noise, and I recognized the sound from earlier. Suddenly the wall to the right of us began to move, and I jumped in my seat.

I looked around, and I suddenly realized that we sat in very the same room to which we had entered the palace - the meeting room.

Spirit got up from his seat, and he swam alongside Tairise towards the door. My heart began to pound, who's here, on the other side?

At first, when the door was fully opened, I could not see anything, but then my eyes fell to the floor, and I too got up. An older haggard merman grappled about just above the ground, using a little stick to push himself along. I instantly recognized the body of tattoos and the little shells that rattled in his hair.

It was Aisling.