A Floof Too Many🏐

TIME IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT, THEY SAY.

Shiro wanted to go back in time and punch whoever decided it would be a good idea to invent it.

Racing against the clock, Shiro stumbled through the house, a square of toast jammed into his mouth as he tosses books into his bag along with a pencil he'd have to fish around for later. With his other hand, he rapidly dragged a comb through his tangles, leaving it up in the mass of curls when he hears his ringtone echo through the apartment.

The toast in his mouth dropped to the floor as he scrambles to grab his phone, clamoring over himself. His leg clanks against the wall loudly as he dove for it and pressed the green button.

"Shiro-chan?"

His mother's voice comes through the other line.

"H-Hey Mama. How's Tokyo?" Shiro gathered himself, eyes flitting up to the clock. Hurrying, he swept up the ruined breakfast, threw it out and grabbed his bag and keys.

"It's great honey. You ready for your first day at that other school?"

"Yep. I got up bright and early."

He lied.

His mother wouldn't find out though, his alarm clock now had a fist shaped dent in it.

"Do you have everything? Did you take your meds? Did you get the bag ready-"

"Yes Mama, I'm about to leave right now. Everything's set."  He smiles as he thinks of his mother's harried expression, eyebrows scrunched up as her brain went a hundred miles per hour, her mouth desperately trying to keep up.

"Sorry sweetie. You know I get worried sometimes. You're all alone over there."

"Mama, it's fine, I'm not alone. I've got Aunt Lia two doors down and I'm doing just fine. Thanks for caring,"

His mother made a strange squeaky noise of love, and Shiro snorted.  "You okay Mama?"

"You're just too sweet, my babyyyyyyy-"

Shiro presses his phone to his ear  by his shoulder. He laces up his shoes, yanking out the comb and throwing it carelessly into the depths of the apartment. He'd regret that later.

One last stop in front of the mirror,  Shiro running his fingers quickly through his hair,  before heading out the door.

First day in his transfer high school, first day of actual school after a year of homeschooling. It was a big day.

His mother continued talking to him over the phone, keeping him company. She lived all the way in Tokyo to tend to her newest job as an investor, but often visited Shiro, who was currently taking care of his childhood home. The Takumi family couldn't lose such a place with so many memories, but other than Shiro, there was nobody to truly take care of it. So he stayed behind, paying for his livelihood with money sent from both his parents.

Shiro did not mind it.

He liked feeling independent, strong. He liked being the man of the house.

He loved his mother, and he missed her so much, but now he didn't feel like a burden weighing her down. He felt like he was actually a pillar, helping, helping, for the first time in years.

He was proud.

"Darling, be careful on the train, don't forget your afternoon pill, and take rests often! I hope you have a great first day, I have to go, but I love you!"