Finding Gold 🏐

IT WAS A STEADY GAME FOR THE FIRST DOZEN POINTS.

Ukai was watching the silver-haired boy play with the Neighborhood team. His start was rocky as he tried to get in the groove ,missing a few balls, and Ukai was ready to cross him off the potential lists, or just keep him in as a secondary sub.

Then came point 13.

A point that Takumi Shiro slammed in so fast that it was barely registered by the players.

One second, Shiro was flying in the air for his serve, the next, the sky went dark and the sheer aura radiating off of the boy was more powerful than Ushiwaka's.

Before he knew it, the ball went rocketing into their court, right past Daichi's face, before ricocheting off the floor and into the wall, deflating with the sheer force.

What the fuck was that?!

The Neighborhood team sweat dropped, tossing Shiro another ball. Mori quietly put his hands up to his head, not willing to be straight up murdered by this kid's serve.

Ukai watched Shiro with wide eyes, the ball dancing around in his hands as he toyed with it.

Oh my god.

We just struck gold.

"His serve is worse than Oikawa's..." He heard Kageyama's pale whisper, his bottle blue eyes following Sugawara as he retrieved the deflated ball.

Tsukishima hid his shock behind a soft smirk. "Looks like the annoying orange was right."

Daichi looked over at Hinata, who was uncharacteristically silent, but shaking in his shoes. The team dad sighed, plugging his ears just as Hinata exploded.

"WAHHH, THAT WAS INCREDIBLE SHIRO SAN! YOU JUMPED SO HIGH, AND WENT LIKE PSSHEEEW AND THE BALL WENT LIKE ZYOOOM AND IT HIT THE GROUND LIKE A SLAMMO AND IT WHIZZED RIGHT PAST DAICHI-SAN'S FACE AND IT WENT WHAMMOIEY INTO THE WALL-"

The whole gym went silent, before Tanaka and Noya glanced at each other once, before simultaneously bursting into laughter.

"BWAHAHAHAA-"

"What the hell was half of that?!"

"Whammoiey? HAHA- "

The Neighborhood team chuckled, and Ukai blew the whistle again to get them focused, watching the blush on Shiro's face form at the huge smiles the Karasuno boys sent over at him.

This truly was the first time he'd ever been praised in the play. 

It felt...nice.

"BRING IT ON!" Noya shouted, planting into position as he sharply grinned over at Shiro, causing his blush to brighten. 

Shiro nodded sharply, eyes darkening as he tossed up the ball and jumped.

Breathe. In, out.

Everything slowed down.

The last serve was strong, powerful, and landed right in the back row. Shiro knew pretty well that they would instinctively become hyper aware of that and move a few steps backwards.

Shiro's eyes locked with Kageyama's, two shades of oceanic blues diving into one another, before his hand slammed into the ball, a loud, deafening noise.

It was...like a crack of thunder.

The ball was a blur of momentum and speed and sheer power, soaring through the air before skimming over the top of the net- losing its rotation.