Into the Lion's Den 🏐

BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT.

Find the blockers.

Aim for the edge- right there, right there he'd get it in.

Breathe, in, out.

And.... spike.

The sting of the ball coursed through his palm as he sent it rocketing onto their court, a soft smirk twitching at his lips when he heard the distinct SLAM of it on the floorboards.

Shiro winked over at the redheaded blocker, causing a playful scowl to rise on Tendou's face.

"Screw you, wonder boy."  He grumbled and Shiro chuckled.

"I'll pass."

Tendou aww-ed, still hanging from the net. Shiro scrunched up his nose at him in reply, gathering up his things.

"Going already, Takumi?"  Ushijima looked up from his stretching, getting to his feet. No matter how many times they'd practiced together, Shiro could never get him to call him by his given name, but Ushijima would get upset whenever Shiro would call him anything other than Toshi.

'Are you mad at me?'  He'd ask worriedly. When Shiro would shake his head no, he'd furrow his eyebrows, frowning, and command him with his booming voice, 'Then call me Toshi. No exceptions.'

The glare that he'd send whenever Shiro tried to argue was enough to make Tendou want to snap his own neck, so Shiro had to concede. He did value his own life over pissing off Ushijima, even though he was much more laid back than he could've imagined when they first met.

"Yeah. Got to make dinner. Bye, Toshi-senpai."  Shiro waved over at him, heading out of the gym.

Tendou let out an inhuman screech of indignation.

"Where's my goodbye?!" He bounded over to Shiro, blocking his way. "And my goodbye hug? And my goodbye smile? Did you forget about poor, old Tendou-senpai already?"

Shiro rolled his eyes as the taller boy opened his arms,  a pout over his face. He shuffled forward and let the older boy smother him with affection.

"Shiiiiiiroooo-kunnnnnnn~" Tendou sang while he squished at his cheeks, and Shiro stood there, flustered, but taking it like a champ.

Oh, how Tendou could be so clingy at times. Still, they were really close friends, and Shiro wouldn't give their dynamic up for the world.

Two bullied kids, both who loved volleyball? Both who's mothers knew each other well? It was a perfect recipe. Add a tall, blunt boy with no filter to the mix and you had a trio that was quite...interesting.

Finally, finally, Tendou pulled away, ruffling Shiro's platinum hair as he stepped away. Shiro silently whined. Affection was nice, Tendou's affection was even better, especially since the boy  smelled like  cinnamon and apples.

"B-Bye, Tendou-san." Shiro nodded at him in acknowledgement, a soft smile gracing his features at the pure warmth that radiated off the redhead.

He walked out of the gym, heading home under the pink streaked sky.

Tomorrow would be another day at that new high school. Classes were boring, the work was pathetically easy, and Shiro found himself drowning further into melancholy feelings when suddenly he remembered the carrot-head.

What was his name again?

Sota? Shoto? Shota? Shoya?

No, Sho-yo.