Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After people watching the people at my new school for at least ten minutes, I realized how odd this school really was. Sure, everything was totally cliche, but can the nerds just be nerds without wearing suspenders and glasses and...bow ties. Can the jocks not be so loud and obnoxious, and a bunch of bullies. Can the cheerleaders not be bitches? Actually since this is only my second day of school, I have yet to meet any cheerleaders, so maybe that wasn't so nice.

And Evan wasn't a loud obnoxious bully or asshole. He was nice, and respectful. Okay, maybe I'm judging everyone too harshly. This is still a new school for me, and I've never been one to judge someone or something before I experienced said someone or something first-hand. Suddenly two guys passed by play-fighting with obviously fake lightsabers. I sighed, this is gonna be a long year.

"You look bummed." A voice said, interrupting my borderline depressing thoughts. I looked up and smiled,

"Darwin!" I shouted with glee, before jumping up and hugging him. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me returning the hug. People looked at us in astonishment. Like the fact that Darwin returning my hug was this magical thing.

I pulled back and sat back down on the hood of my car. Darwin sat next to me. He turned and looked at me with a 'I'm waiting,' look on his face. When I continued to stare at him with a confused look on my face he finally spoke,

"So, why so bummed?" He asked, and I shrugged,

"I just realized how weird things are here." He laughed,

"Oh, you haven't seen half of it." I raised an eyebrow encouraging him to continue, but he just shook his head no.

"You just need to experience it, first hand." I rolled my eyes at his very helpful statement. That's sarcasm, folks. Darwin and I relaxed on the hood of my car waiting for school to begin. I spotted Tessa looking for someone. Soon she spotted me, and started to literally run over. When she noticed Darwin next to me she got this huge goofy grin on her face.

"Okay, so I'm just gonna go." I told Darwin, trying to get away before Tessa came over. I already have my mom on my case about beau, and I remember Evan's mom trying to hook me up with her son. I don't need anymore matchmakers in my life, I can find love on my own. I can be my own Dr. Love....as weird and as odd as that sounds.

I didn't wait for Darwin's reply to my statement, trying to put as much space between Tessa and I. I didn't two steps, until a hand grabbed my arm. I turned around to see a hunched over, sweaty and tired looking Tessa. Why the heck was she breathing so hard?

"I feel like I just ran a mile." She said, groaning a little. I rolled my eyes at her theatrics,

"You just ran fifteen feet. Twenty at the most." I said, laughing at the incredulous look on her face,

"Then why did it take so long, and why am I so sweaty." She said breathless as she put her hands on her hips as she continued to breath hard. I laughed,

"Maybe because you have the endurance of....something without a lot of endurance. It's too early to be witty." I said, holding onto the straps of my bookbag.

"It's also too early to be running." She said, finally catching her breath.

"Then why were you running?" I asked, with a raised eyebrow,

"I was just really excited to see my new BFF, and besides you saw me and you started walking away." She said, crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow. I sighed,

"Because I knew you would get all weird when-"

"She seems weird already. Actually both of you guys are weird." We turned and stared at Darwin who was still chilled out on top of the hood of my car. I glared at him while Tessa gave him a bright smile,