✮ 𝟎𝟏𝟖 ✮

the winter soldier... aka bucky barnes

A few days later, Marlene received a very odd text from Steve Rogers. Running out of the training room, she quickly took a shower and got dressed. Marlene sent Tony a quick message stating she would be with Steve (in which he replied a very naughty thing about the old pair), and as she was leaving, she grabbed the beige cardigan she knew was comfortable. Hurrying down the elevator, she pressed the call button by Steve's name to figure out what the hell was going on.

"Hi," he stated nervously. "Are you coming down?"

Marlene was about to reply when the elevator doors opened. She saw a man dressed in a sweatshirt and baseball cap wearing sunglasses waiting in the lobby. He wiggled his eyebrows at her. "Yeah," she replied. "I'm in the lobby."

"See the guy with the baseball cap?"

"Yep. Making me uncomfortable, check."

"That's Sam. Walk out with him. He'll take you to me," Steve said quickly before ending the call. Walking forward, she felt Sam flank her right side as she waved at the receptionist.

"So... you're Marlene?" Sam asked awkwardly as he pushed open the door to hold it for her.

"Yup," she replied. "Sam...?"

"Sam Wilson. Friend of Steve's," he stated. "Okay, that car."

"Is that Natasha—" she cut herself off, opening the back door behind Steve and slipping into the car. Natasha sat in the middle while a man who she vaguely remembered as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent sat behind Sam. "Hey," she greeted the red-head.

"Hi," Natasha said sweetly as Sam began to drive off. "You're looking beautiful. Did you do something different with your hair?"

Marlene snorted. "Pepper cut it a bit. Dye can't touch it. So," she paused, leaning over to look at the man, "who are you? What's going on, Steve?"

"Do you own a phone?" Natasha asked rhetorically. "Fury was killed by the Winter Soldier. Steve and I were almost killed Arnim Zola in New Jersey. We found out Hydra is infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D., and they are planning to kill millions of people. We needed your help to stop them in D.C."

Marlene stared at woman as if she was crazy.

Sam turned for a moment before glancing back at the road. "Uh oh, we broke the witch."

Steve sighed. "Marls?"

"What?" she asked. "No, no. I'm fine. Just processing. Hydra is the SSR from Germany during World War II, from your stories, Steve?"

Steve smiled to himself. "Yeah. They are still around. Jasper Sitwell here is one of them."

Marlene nodded. "And how are they going to kill millions of people?"

"Project Insight. Three helicarriers with targets all over the U.S.," Natasha said as they made it onto a bridge. "Which, by the way, launch is in less than sixteen hours. We're cutting it a little bit close here."

"I know," Steve said before a thought hit him. "Are you going to be okay to fight, Marlene?"

"Why wouldn't she be? All rested in the tall tower with Stark," Natasha said with a smirk.

"I'll be fine. The headache finally passed. We planned to access more memories today, but we can push it back. This is more important," Marlene replied.

Natasha nodded. "Finally remembering things, Galactic Savior?"

Sitwell turned his head. "You're here? Not in Sokovia?"