✮ 𝟎𝟒𝟓 ✮

a ravager funeral

AS the world seemed to be falling apart around them, Marlene could see a way out. Still, they had to make sure Ego would die. By Rocket's uncertainty for Groot, it made Marlene anxious. She was used to Tony or Steve always having a plan. Why did it seem that the Guardians of the Galaxy enjoyed to do this last minute with no plan whatsoever? They were so chaotic, but it worked?

As soon as Yondu noticed the hole in the sky, she called for Kraglin. "Kraglin, we need the quadrant for an extraction. T-minus five minutes."

"Aye, Captain," Kraglin responded immediately.

"Somebody's gotta be up top when Kraglin arrives," Peter said as he pulled off his rocket. "Drax, take Mantis." Peter shoved the rocket on Drax's back as it took form as a vest.

"Ow! My nipples!" Drax screamed as he flew up with Mantis in his arms.

Marlene turned as the floor beneath Gamora and Nebula seemed to break simultaneously. The sisters fell without hesitation. "Gamora!" Peter screamed just as Ego's face began to take shape again in front of them.

Marlene and Rocket flew as the ground around them seemed to still be falling apart.

"Peter!" Ego screamed as Peter began to shoot at the face and tentacles coming out of it. "Come now, Peter. I know this isn't what you want. What kind of father would I be to let you make this choice?"

Marlene saw Yondu fighting the tentacles with his arrow, destroying them easily as he whistled. She flew up, using every part of her brain to try and enter his. As scattered as it was, Marlene realized each tentacle was like a nerve. It had its own way of thinking. Without wasting a second, she had the nerves around her power down. Another came out of nowhere, and she grabbed it with her hand before sending her pulsating energy through it. It exploded in her hand.

Nearby, Rocket threw red explosives on the nerves, encasing himself in a shield as he detonated them. With a grin, he landed. His celebration was short-lived as another nerve sent him flying.

"Rocket!" Marlene yelled, growing angrier.

"Soon, Peter, we will be all there is. So stop pissing me off!" Ego screamed as he fought Peter. Marlene tried to send a shield his way, but another tentacle-like nerve hit her aside.

Using her hands, she grabbed two of them while she entered the 'minds' of the three coming at her. She was struggling to keep up as she saw Peter get knocked down, his mask falling off as his eyes met hers worriedly.

Marlene was being overwhelmed by the amound of nerves that were approaching her. Just as she thought she could gain the upperhand, she saw Yondu be taken down and begin to be covered with rocks. Soon, she saw Rocket following. Trying to push out of this, she realized she would not overpower Ego alone. She felt herself flung backward as her own encasing began to form. Peter's eyes were tearing up as he was suddenly impaled by nerves around him.

Ego began to walk forward as a skeleton as his body began to take shape again. "I told you... I don't want to do this alone. You cannot deny... the purpose the universe has bestowed upon you. It doesn't need to be like this, Peter. Why are you destroying our chance? Stop pretending you aren't what you are. One in billions. Trillions. Even more. What greater meaning can life possibly have to offer?"

Yondu screamed out, "I don't use my head to fly the arrow, boy! I use my heart—"

Peter's eyes went back to Marlene as she nodded once at him. He could stop him. He had to. Peter was the only way. As he clenched his fist, he growled out, "You shouldn't have killed my mom and squished my Walkman."