✮ 𝟎𝟒𝟑 ✮

saving the galaxy for the second time

ROCKET had finally managed to get a transmission to the other guardians as Marlene and Yondu prepared the small pod to head to the planet that looked just like Ego's face. Marlene grimaced as Yondu pointed at the planet.

"Pretty ugly, ain't he?" Yondu stated before pausing. "Well, I know you and Quill had a thing. How's that going?"

Marlene grinned. "You're a little late, Yondu. We've both moved on."

"Oh, right. The green chick?" Marlene nodded. "And who's your new lover?"

Marlene flipped a few switches as she sat Groot on her shoulder. "His name is Steve."

"Steve? Sounds like a jackass."

Marlene said nothing else while biting back a laugh as Rocket climbed down to meet them in the pod. He clicked a button, and suddenly, Marlene was relieved to hear Gamora's voice. "Finally! Rocket?"

"Keep that transmitter nearby, so I can find you. We're in an old piece of construction equipment Yondu once used to slice open the Bank of A 'askavaria," Rocket stated as he eyed the planet ahead of them.

"Ego's unhinged!" Gamora shouted.

"I know. Get ready," Rocket said with a smirk on his face as he pointed to Yondu.

Yondu called up, "Drop her, Kraglin. Now." Marlene felt the pod being released as Yondu took control of it. Flying into the planet, Marlene felt herself growing worried for Peter.

"Hold onto something!" Rocket called to Marlene as she wrapped herself and Groot in a protective shield. She felt Groot holding her neck as he shook a bit. "You got Groot?"

"Yeah!" Marlene yelled just as she saw them approaching a building with lights going on and off. It was no sooner that Yondu drove them right into the building.

"Hey, there, jackass!" Yondu yelled with a laugh as the ship landed on Ego's body. Marlene let the shield fall as she opened the door, placing Groot down.

Marlene felt nothing but relief when she saw the Guardians and Mantis rushing toward them.

"Out of the way, dumber, smaller Groot!" Drax screamed as Groot punched his tiny hands on Drax's body. Drax turned to Rocket with a glare. "What are you doing? You could've killed us all!"

"Uh... Thank you, Rocket?" Rocket said as he swiveled his chair around.

"We had it under control," Drax said.

Marlene shook her head. "No, I really don't think you did!" she shouted.

"We did not," Mantis agreed. "That is only an extension... of his true self. He will be back soon."

Marlene grew defensive when she saw Nebula aboard the ship before Peter and Gamora. She let her powers flare up as she hovered slightly. The blue and yellow strands caused Peter and Gamora to stare in awe.

"What the hell happened to you?" Peter asked.

"Gal got an upgrade!" Rocket called with a laugh. "Totally almost took out Nebula."

"Why is she here?" Marlene asked Gamora.

Peter nodded, pointed. "Yeah, I gotta agree. What's Smurfette doing here?"

"Whatever I need to do to get a damn ride home," Nebula sneered at them, dodging a blast from Marlene.

"Hey! We don't need any more fighting right now!" Gamora called.

Rocket shook his head. "Let Marlene take her out. She tried to murder me!"

"I saved you, you stupid fox!" Nebula said.

Gamora and Marlene both sneered, "He's not a fox." Peter grabbed Marlene's hand, tugging her to the ground. She glared his way as her powers died down but did not go away.

"Calm down," Peter said softly. "We got bigger issues."

Marlene nodded as she heard Groot exclaim, "I am Groot."

Rocket turned his glare to the tree. "I'm not a raboon, either."

"I am Groot."

"Raccoon. Whatever," Rocket said just as around them, white wisps of the man they had ran over began to take over the ship. Peter ran off to where Yondu was, climbing the ladder.

Drax was near the window watching when he said, "How do we kill a Celestial?"

Before Peter made it all the way up, he explained, "There's a center to him. His brain, his soul, whatever it is. Some sort of protective shell."

"It's in the caverns below the surface," Mantis stated.

Marlene stood behind Rocket as Peter made it to the piloting area. "Yondu?" Peter asked surprised.

"Thrusters are out," Yondu said instead.

Peter immediately went to fix the thrusters. Marlene closed her eyes, trying to figure out a way into Ego's brain. "Guess I should be glad I was a skinny kid. Otherwise, you'd have delivered me to this maniac," Peter said conversationally.

"You still reckon that's the reason I kept you around, you idiot?"

"That's what you told me, you old doofus."

"Once I figured out what happened to them other kids, I wasn't just gonna hand you over," Yondu admitted.

"You said you were gonna eat me. You even told the other guys not to eat Marlene!"

"That was being funny!"

"Not to me!"

"You people have issues," Rocket exclaimed before noticing Marlene's eyes wide and powers in use.

"Of course I have issues," Peter said, pointing to the being that was forming Ego again. It was half a skeleton. "That's my freakin' father! Thrusters are back up."

Marlene was pulled out of Ego's messed up fucking mind when she realized the ship was going down. Like... down down. She looked at Rocket who was holding his arm out just in case she fell. When he noticed she was awake, he said, "You really gotta warn people when you're going to zone out."

"We should be going up!" Yondu screamed Marlene's thoughts.

"We can't! Ego wants to eradicate the universe as we know it. We have to kill him," Peter said back before shouting, "Rocket!"

"Got it!" Rocket said as he flipped a few switches to make lasers form just as they reached the land. Soon, they were going into Ego's dirt and rubble, the lasers allowing them to go further and further into the core.

"So, we're saving the galaxy again?" Rocket asked.

"I guess," Peter answered.

"Awesome!" Rocket said happily, making sure the ship made it without crashing. "We're really gonna be able to jack up our prices if we're two-time galaxy savers."

Peter sighed. "I seriously can't believe that's where your mind goes."

"It was just a random thought, man. I thought we were friends. Of course, I care about the planets, and the buildings... and all the animals on the planets," Rocket said absentmindedly.

"And the people," Peter scolded.

"Meh."