✮ 𝟎𝟑𝟒 ✮

didn't see that coming... or marlene loses a part of her

STEVE watched as Marlene and Wanda stood next to each other, hands lit with their powers as they tried to keep everyone together and out of harm's way. "The next wave's gonna hit any minute. What have you got, Stark?" Steve asked.

"Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear," Tony said with a sigh.

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Steve said with a scowl on his face when his eyes met Marlene's striking blue ones.

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice," Tony admitted.

Natasha's voice was soft as she said, "Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock—"

"Not 'til everyone's safe," Steve denied.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there," Natasha tried as Marlene landed softly on Steve's left.

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it."

"I didn't say we should leave," Natasha said as Marlene let her hand intertwine with Steve's. His eyes went from Natasha to Marlene with a worried expression on his face. "There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

Marlene furrowed her eyebrows as a crackle appeared in the comms. Suddenly, Nick Fury's voice was heard. "Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It's about to get better." Marlene smiled softly as a large Helicarrier appeared, flying next to them. "Nice, right? I pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do."

"Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve said with a grin as he squeezed Marlene's hand once.

"Oooh! You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Fury joked.

Lifeboats began flying toward them as Pietro sped to a stop next to Marlene. He gave her a look.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Pietro asked in awe.

Steve nodded. "This is what S.H.I.E.L.D.'s supposed to be."

"This is not so bad," Pietro concluded with a smile.

"Let's load 'em up," Steve called to the Avengers around them.

As robots tried to hit the lifeboats, War Machine flew to help fight. "Yes! Now this is gonna be a good story!" Rhodey cheered in the comms.

Tony laughed at his best friend. "Yep. If you live to tell it."

"You think I can't hold my own?"

"We get through this, I'll hold your own!"

Rhodey sighed. "You had to make it weird."

Marlene was helping a group of people onto the next lifeboat, smiling at a small boy who was watching the Avengers in wonder. She picked him up to help him to his mother, smiling when he grinned at her with a toothless smile. Filling up the lifeboat fully, she saw Steve tap the top of it. "Filled!"

The lifeboat closed and took off to the Helicarrier. Marlene felt so much better knowing the people would all be safe.

"Thor, I got a plan!" Tony said suddenly, referring to how to get the rock to blow.

Thor yelled back, "We're out of time. They're coming for the core."

"Rhodey, get the rest of the people on board that carrier," Tony commanded.