29 | Rage

You stood behind a tree, hidden somewhere in the forest as you watch Maki and Fushiguro fight the curse.

You gulp, 'Fushiguro's jade hound is kinda scary..'

The plan is to injure Hanami in any way possible. The branches from his eye sockets seems to be a weak point, so Maki asked if you could ambush Hanami in the middle of their fight.

If you got lucky enough, then you might even severely damage the curse. You didn't know how severe you can damage the special grade though.

You grit your teeth, brows furrowing. Did Maki tell that to make you feel at ease? To make you feel like the three of you, againts this monster, have a chance to defeat it?

'.. Is she trying to do something..?'

You then sigh, choosing not to think about it too hard. You have to appreciate her effort― she was trying to reassure you while also thinking of a way on how to fight Hanami.

You closely watch them switch weapons.

Your heart starts beating rapidly.

'.. Wait for it..!'

Your breath hitches as they both attack Hanami. You're impressed at how they switched weapons so quickly.

"L/N, now!" Maki shouts.

That's your cue.

With not a second wasted, your fist encased in cursed energy meets with Hanami's face. When you hear a crack from his thick skin, you place another brutal punch on his face.

Maki calls you back, and you follow her.

"Please never make me use a three-section staff again!" Fushiguro says, sparing you a glance before focusing back on the curse.

You chuckle, turning to fushiguro with a smile as Maki answers him.

"They're useful once you get.."

Your heart drops, eyes going wide as saucers. Maki's also taken aback by the surprise attack from the special grade.

"MEGUMI!"

You're able to quickly dodge a branch coming your way. Maki, who still hasn't regained her composure, was unfortunate.

A branch pierces her shoulder.

"MAKI-SAN!" both you and fushiguro  shriek, watching in horror as maki struggles.

'What's happening?'

'Oh no.. Don't cry!'

The situation at hand is overwhelming and the intimidating curse in front of you wasn't helping. All you wanted to do was break down and sob, but you can't do that.