Chapter Thirty-One

After about fifteen minutes of walking, a narrow opening split across the cliff. Aeris slipped inside, closely followed by Caeli. Wade hesitated, eyeing the jagged rock walls towering over them. He glanced up at Serafina—after much convincing, he'd gotten her to mount Ember and rest. She was already drowsing, her head nestled against the horse's neck. Her hair had fallen across half of her face, and he resisted the sudden urge to brush it back.

Are you coming? Caeli said, amusement clear in her thoughts. Wade flushed and guided Ember into the opening. One turn, two, and then he was standing on a bed of pine needles. He rolled his feet, grateful for the softness beneath his aching feet, and looked around. They were in some sort of hollow, surrounded by ragged stone walls on all sides. A small stream tumbled down the far wall, feeding into a clear, shallow pool that drained through another gap in the cliff. Pines were scattered about, their scent thick in the air and boughs heavy with the soft rain.

Aeris was sitting against the wall, next to a shallow cave. It was a few yards deep and slanted upwards: perfect cover for the coming storm. It would come soon—Wade could almost taste the rain and lightning gathering in the still air.

A faint rustle; Wade's attention snapped upwards, to one of the stone walls around them. Perched delicately next to an ancient, gnarled pine, a silvery-eyed dragon stared back at him. It disappeared a second later, melting into the shadows.

Who was that? Wade asked Caeli, struggling to stay calm as he retreated into the cave. He gripped Ember's mane with one hand, itching to grasp a sword, a knife, anything.

A few others are watching. They won't attack you. Caeli paused, no doubt aware that that hadn't diminished his fear in the slightest. Your friends will be back soon.

I know. Wade swallowed; he'd called for Aurum as soon as they set off, and had been vaguely aware of the dragon's presence drawing nearer. He reached out for Aurum automatically, just wishing to feel his company.

Are you alright? Aurum asked, sensing his presence.

Yes. Wade sat near the cave's entrance, glancing at Serafina. She needed the rest; there wasn't much reason to wake her. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. It's been a long day.

You should sleep.

Wade shook his head. Maybe after you lot get here.

Aurum huffed his disagreement, but said nothing else.

A whisper of thought brushed against Wade's mind, faint and hesitant. Hello?

He jerked his head up; Ferah had crept around Aeris, her golden eyes trained on him. Her brother looked between the two of them, narrowing his eyes. Wade winced as Aeris shoved into his mind as well, observing everything with a sort of grim silence.

Hi, Wade replied to the both of them. He realized that Caeli was watching him, too, along with whatever other dragons had arrived, and shifted uneasily.

Ferah crept forward, timid in a way Wade hadn't seen any of the other dragons. She stopped a few feet away, curling her tail around her legs. My sister told me your friend was taken.

Wade swallowed. Yes.

Anger swirled through Aeris' thoughts, along with the faintest hint of guilt. He sat up a little straighter, glancing at Caeli. We will not help you with that. We can't.

Wade tamped down his disappointment—he'd guessed as much. Truthfully, he was just glad they hadn't killed him and Serafina.

A distant thunderclap rolled through the air, rattling through Wade's bones. He blinked, realizing that it was properly raining now. And the dragons were all standing in it.