Chapter Ten

Wade woke late the next morning. Sunlight streamed through the canopy, clear and unbroken. The sky was a clean, pure blue, ice against the fiery autumn leaves. He sat up, scrubbing his eyes, and looked around. His father was leaning against a tree, slowly twisting the golden ring on his left hand. Elijah and his wife were close by, sharing a small breakfast. Rachel lifted her head and gave Wade a small smile.

"Well, look who's up," his father said, grinning at his son. He still looked exhausted, even though Wade had tried to let him get a decent amount of sleep before switching the watch.

Elijah looked up from his food and nodded. "Morning, Ryan."

It took Wade a moment to remember his new name. "Morning," he yawned, brushing dirt and leaves from his hair. He looked at his father. "Why didn't you wake me? The sun's already up."

"We were talking." His father looked at Elijah. "Apparently there's a town, Silith, not far from here: if we hurry, we can get there before night falls. We'll be able to replenish our supplies and even get sleep at the inn."

"Really?" Wade perked up, excited at the prospect of warm food and a bed, but hesitated. "Do we really have enough money to afford . . ." he trailed off, remembering the watching couple. It felt rude to discuss such a thing before them: they had nothing at all.

"Just about."

". . . Alright. When do we get going?"

"As soon as you're ready."

Wade nodded and stood up, rolling his shoulders. They were stiff and sore; he missed his bed. He grabbed his sword, which he'd left lying by his side, and fastened it to his belt. Rachel's eyes flicked toward it, but she said nothing.

"Of the bandits," Wade's father said, looking back at the couple. Apparently they weren't quite done with their conversation. "How many were there?"

Elijah shrugged. "Four or five, though it sounded like there were more. It was hard to see in the dark."

Rachel nodded and drew closer to her husband. "They knocked Elijah to the ground. I tried to fight back--that's how I was injured. They took everything before we could retaliate and left us lying there. I heard one man say something about how the others would be pleased."

"That sounds awful," Wade said.

Rachel closed her eyes. "They could've done far worse to us."

Elijah's face darkened, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "We're safe now, Rachel. And soon we'll be able to get some help."

Rachel nodded. She whispered something Wade couldn't hear, and they both stood, gripping each other for support.

"Well," Elijah said with a weak smile. "This is where we must part ways. It's been wonderful meeting you both. If there's anything we can do to repay you . . ."

"It was the least we could do," Wade's father said.

Rachel dipped her head. "We're in your debt. I hope we meet again, on happier terms."

"Same here."

With a final goodbye, the couple left in the direction of Aleran. Wade grinned and waved until they'd gone some distance away. He hoped that they'd be able to find help in Aleran.

"Right," his father finally said, turning to face the road ahead. "Let's go."

It was nice to see the sky again. Wade tilted his face to it as they walked, relishing the heat of the sun against his skin. A lingering summer breeze hung fresh in the air, dulling the bitter cold that had descended over the land in the last few weeks.