Chapter Sixteen

When Asher finally called them back to the cliff, Wade and Aurum were completely drenched. As they flew back, Wade spotted his father standing beside Asher, his head tilted back to see them.

Aurum landed with a flurry of wind and water, sending a shower of salty rain across the dry stone. Wade slid off the dragon's back and landed in a wet heap on the ground, shivering. If the sun hadn't emerged from the clouds to warm his skin, he was sure he'd have frozen over then and there.

"You both looked like you were having fun."

Wade looked up at his father and grinned. "We were. The ocean is amazing." He wearily pushed himself upright and raked his hands through his hair, trying to dry it out a little. "Flying . . . less so."

"I can imagine." Wade's father grasped his hand and pulled him up. He frowned and looked Wade up and down. "You're shaking."

"Just cold."

"That can be dangerous in this weather, son."

"It's not that bad; I wasn't in the water that long. I'll be fine once we get moving."

Asher looked at Wade. "Are you sure? I can use magic to—"

Wade waved his question away. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. If I need help, I'll tell you."

His father nodded reluctantly. "In that case, go ahead and check on Ember. We should leave soon."

"She still hasn't left?" Wade had gone and removed her bridle earlier; it didn't feel right to leave her tied up for so long, and they weren't going to need her any longer. The horse couldn't carry more than one rider without quickly tiring. And with Aurum so close, he'd expected her to bolt as soon as she could.

"No."

Asher frowned. "Why?"

"Perhaps her previous owner was abusive."

"Or she just really likes us," Wade said with a shrug. He caught the look his father gave him and hastily turned around. "Right, right. I'm going."

With one last glance at the sea, he slipped through the close-set trees to the horse. She was dozing where he'd left her, her neck drooping toward the ground. Her ears twitched as he approached, and she lifted her head.

Wade looked at the bridle, limply hanging on a nearby branch. He grabbed it and turned to Ember. She glanced at the bit and tossed her head, stamping one hoof against the ground. He hesitated, thinking.

"Do we even need to bridle her?" he shouted over his shoulder.

There was a short pause; he could just hear Asher and his father talking to one another. Then, unexpectedly, Aurum answered him.

No. Come back—the horse will follow you.

What? Why? She'll run. What did Ash just tell you?

Just trust me.

Wade frowned and slung the bridle over his shoulder, not quite sure what to do with it. He took a few steps toward the cliff, and, sure enough, Ember followed him. Her nostrils flared—she probably smelled Aurum—but she showed no sign of fear. When they emerged from the cover of the trees and the dragon came into view, she seemed entirely unaffected.

"Okay," Wade said, turning from Asher to his father to Aurum. "What did he do?"

Asher looked pointedly at Aurum, likely repeating the question.

I have my ways, the dragon said. Asher rolled his eyes.

Wade glanced at his friend, confused. Wait, he asked Aurum. Can you talk to us both at the same time?