Chapter Thirteen

Asher fell into a sort of daze as they flew, scanning the sky with open wonder. Such a height turned even the massive northern mountains into mere outcrops in the endless sea of trees. At some point, the sun emerged from the clouds, bright and warm. Only then did he finally dare to loosen his grip on Aurum's neck and lean back, enjoying the feel of the wind on his face. Cold and fierce as it was, it felt wonderfully refreshing, and with Aurum's enthusiasm to be flying again buzzing through his head, for the first time in years Asher truly felt . . . free. He could see why Aurum loved it so much.

Of course, the instant the stupid reptile tucked his wings to his sides and dived headfirst for the ground, the paralysing fear came rushing right back. Asher screamed and grabbed the dragon with all his strength, various curses streaming from his mouth.

"What are you doing?" he shouted, watching them plummet toward the ground through a haze of terror. He felt his body start lifting into the air and quickly redoubled his grip on Aurum, bile rising in his throat.

Just before they crashed into the rocky earth, Aurum spread his wings and sharply leveled off. Asher grunted as the sudden motion slammed him against the dragon's back. Aurum glided to the ground, landing with a soft thump on a tall hill. A stream tumbled down the stone slope next to them, sparkling merrily in the sunlight. The trees were thick and dark, their branches extended toward the azure sky. The air, thick with the scent of flowers, felt wonderfully warm.

Asher tumbled off Aurum's back and lay panting on the ground, glaring at the dragon. His hands were numb. His legs were numb. Everything felt numb.

Are you trying to kill me? he growled.

Aurum blinked. If the dragon could laugh, Asher bet he would've. You're still alive, aren't you?

Asher muttered a few choice curses under his breath and looked around. Why did you stop here?

You're larger and heavier than anything I've had to carry before, and I've been flying for a couple of hours. I'm tired.

Asher looked at Aurum. His wings dragged on the ground, and his breathing was loud and harsh. You could've at least warned me before dropping like a stone.

Aurum snorted. That's how I fly. Get used to it.

Asher threw his hands up into the air and walked to the stream, dropping to his knees before the clear water. He had been getting thirsty; the air was dry so high up.

Aurum crept to his side and drank as well, eagerly lapping up the water. When he was done, he stretched his wings out--they were so massive that they brushed against the canopy--and laid down under a tree. His sides rose and fell in a deep sigh, and his eyes slid shut.

How long are we going to be here? Asher asked. Aurum opened one eye and glared at him.

A half-hour? An hour? I don't know. It's late, and I haven't slept properly in days. Let me rest.

Sorry, sorry. Asher sighed. I'm going to go walk around.

Don't get lost.

Asher left the dragon to himself and headed into the forest. Aurum was far faster than Rivas, but he still felt a twinge of unease as he strode past the massive trees. Whatever. He'd had to deal with paranoia before.

He wandered around aimlessly for some time, stopping every now and then to examine a strange plant or watch a colorful bird flit through the treetops. It was nice to relax for a moment and simply explore the new environment.

Aurum's presence in his mind faded somewhat after a few minutes; if he focused, he could dimly sense the dragon's dreams. They were foreign, filled with thoughts and ideas that weren't quite . . . human.