Chapter Four

Asher didn't hesitate. He ran to Henry, his shoes slipping on the dewy grass, and slid to his knees besides Wade, sending drops of mud every which way.

"Move over," he told Wade, surprised at how calm he sounded. He'd never done this before, and didn't want his friend to get hurt.

"I don't--that man--"

"Move!"

Wade looked at Asher for a moment, his face flashing between confusion and sorrow, and then moved backwards. Asher would never be able to explain the gratitude that rushed through him as he saw just how much trust was flickering in the boy's eyes.

He returned his attention to Henry. The man had a deep gash in the back of his head and another on his side. Asher had never seen so much blood. Taking a deep breath, he wrestled with the magic, which was about to explode along with all the emotions raging inside him. Then he placed his hands over the blacksmith and poured the magic into Henry, telling it to heal his wounds.

A white radiance engulfed Asher's arms, and the edges of the lacerations began to close. Asher watched, amazed, as Henry's skin slowly knitted together and became whole once more. When it was finished, Asher carefully examined the smith. He was breathing evenly, but still unconscious. A measure of blood had returned to his face.

Sick with relief, Asher sat back heavily. Wade rushed to his father's side and gazed at him for a moment before turning back to Asher.

"You're a magic-user."

Asher nodded wearily.

"You need to get out of here before he comes back."

"I'm not leaving you both." Wade opened his mouth to protest, but Asher interrupted him. "What happened?"

An intense look of guilt crossed over Wade's face. "The Valkir came by and asked for you. I said you weren't here. I didn't realize what . . . Then he started walking to the house; somehow he seemed to know where it was. Father tried to stop him . . ." He hung his head. "I should've done something. When I saw the explosion--"

"He would have killed you," Asher said, shaking his head. "The best thing you could've done was stay out of his way and help your father."

He stood up unsteadily and pressed a hand to his spinning head. "We need to move. I think I can teleport us--that's how I got here so fast." He chose not to mention that the energy it would take from him would likely cause him to pass out.

Wade got to his feet. "Okay, but--" His face paled as he noticed something behind Asher. He took a step backwards, his hands curling into fists. "Ash. Run."

Asher knew what Wade had seen. He felt a bleak smile tug at his lips. So this was what gallows humor felt like. "What did I just tell you? I'm not leaving."

As he spoke, he used magic to push Henry's limp body behind a nearby tree, where he would be protected from whatever was about to happen. "Take him and get to Aleran; I can hold the Valkir off."

Wade rolled his eyes. "If you won't do the sensible thing and get out of here, I won't, either."

Asher could feel the invisible bindings starting to wrap around his body. With a growl of frustration, he raised an arm and bodily lifted Wade into the air, who yelped and struggled fiercely.

"Go," he whispered, throwing as much urgency he could into the word. "Please." He threw Wade towards his father. The boy crashed against the ground, scrambled to his feet, and turned around to glare at Asher. He took a step forward, but stopped. A pained look in his eyes, he grabbed Henry's arm and disappeared into the shadows.