Chapter Thirty-Five

Wade's arms ached. He shifted against Aurum's side, tucking his head in his arm in a halfhearted attempt to free himself from some of the wind. After hours upon hours of being surrounded by it, he'd forgotten what it was like to be resting on solid ground, with nothing but silence and stillness around him. And the cold. Even with his jacket, every inch of his body was numb.

...We're almost out of the mountains, Aurum reassured him. At first, he'd paid little attention to Wade's discomfort. Now, however, there was a fair amount of concern in his thoughts. I think your village is quite close.

Did they go to Aleran? Wade tightened his arms, wincing as his muscles screamed in protest.

I think they went a little farther south.

Wade thought for a moment. Evran's that way. Let's go there. Maybe we can figure out how far behind we are from Asher. He hesitated, realizing with a start that Serafina had left her bow with Kira a few days before. How had he forgotten? And maybe I could get Serafina a weapon.

Can you hold on that long?

I've managed for half the day, Wade replied, gritting his teeth. I'll be fine for another... how long will it take?

Aurum scanned Wade's mind for a mental map of the area, and then tilted his head as he studied the land around them. Only a few minutes.

Yeah. I'll be fine. Wade hesitated, and then groped for Caeli's mind. The blue dragon accepted the contact with a questioning thought. How's Serafina?

She won't fall, if that's what you're asking. Caeli hesitated, worry filtering through their bond. Will those... leather things truly help you both?

Wade felt a twinge of guilt at the reluctance in her mind, but he couldn't hide how miserable he felt. Saddles. And yes. If we do this very long, we'll need something to hold us in place.

Caeli was silent for a moment, her thoughts growing distant. Serafina says she'll buy rope or something at... She struggled with a vague mental image of a town. When we find one of those. Other humans.

How is she doing? Wade asked, screwing his eyes shut and lifting his head. The wind tore at his face, but he glimpsed Serafina clinging to Caeli as the blue dragon flew alongside Aurum.

Tired. But you're far worse off than she. How is your wound?

Fine.

You do realize I can read your thoughts, right? You subconsciously answer before you even form a response in this... language of yours. There's no point in lying.

I'll live, Wade growled.

Caeli gave a sort of mental sigh. Stubborn human.

Overprotective dragon.

I'm not overprotective: you're just an idiot.

Wade had tucked his head tight against his arm again, but he found himself grinning. Only sort of.

Caeli paused, and Wade sensed her glance over at him as she pretended to mull it over. No. You're a pure-blooded idiot.

Aurum shifted his wings and began to tilt down. Wade quickly broke contact with Caeli as his body slid forward, tucking himself tighter against the black dragon as they descended. A quick, teary-eyed glance revealed an open plain to the south, rising and falling in gentle waves. It was mostly tan from what Wade guessed was dry grass, interspersed with stretches of bare trees. He didn't see Evran before he was forced to close his eyes, but a quick exchange with Aurum revealed that it was just below them.