Chapter Nine

The darkness was suffocating. Wade peered out into the night as his father rummaged through their small bag of belongings. The road stretched out endlessly in either direction, framed by towering trees and thick shrubbery. Dark clouds choked the sky, cutting off what little light the moon provided. A freezing gust of wind blew down the road, kicking up a cloud of dust.

"Here," his father said, offering Wade a flask of water. Wade drank deeply and passed it back, keeping an eye on the empty road. It was both exposed and constricted, guarded on each side by the forest but open for miles ahead and behind.

His father withdrew a small loaf of bread from the bag and tore it in two. Wade accepted his half and ate silently. It wasn't often he had nothing to say, but his mind had become curiously blank as they walked that day. A continual sense of unease and worry twisted in his stomach, but that was nothing new.

"What's wrong, Wade?" his father asked suddenly. His deep voice sounded much louder in the dense silence of the woods, where the trees sucked up and muffled every noise. "You've been awfully quiet."

Wade took a moment to answer. "I suppose I'm still trying to make sense of everything. It all happened so quickly . . ." He sighed and reached into his pocket, brushing his fingers against the necklace curled up inside. It was slightly warm to the touch; he could imagine the gold gleaming in the darkness. He was lucky it had survived the fire: like the ring on his father's hand, it was irreplaceable. "And now we're headed to Norstarn. I've never been this far from Aleran." He paused, then mustered a weak smile. "I have always wanted to see the ocean."

His father let out a short laugh and ruffled his hair. "Peter told me it roars and gnaws at the land like a hungry beast."

"I heard it's so flat you can see the end of the world if you stand at the shore." Wade cocked his head, trying to imagine it. A part of the stifling sadness welling up inside his chest fell away, leaving his head clearer and his heart lighter. "And it's a vast thing, longer and wider than all of Eldernia."

His father put a hand on his shoulder. His eyes were sad and tired, but glinted with a fierce determination. "It'll be okay, son."

Wade hesitated for a moment. Their house was in shambles, his friend was being hunted by a Valkir, and he and his father could very well be wanted men. It was hard to believe that anything about their situation would turn out well, but looking at his father right then, Wade felt a flicker of hope. He clenched his jaw and nodded.

His father released him and looked up at the sky. "We should settle down for the night," he said. "Try to get some sleep."

"I'll take the first watch," Wade said quickly. "You've been staying up longer than you should."

"I'm perfectly fine."

"Father," Wade said, careful to maintain a respectful tone, "you look like a raccoon with those circles under your eyes."

His father grunted and thought for a moment. "Alright," he finally said. "But wake me if you see anything strange."

"I will."

They moved to the side of the road, out of sight from any travelers or bandits. Wade positioned himself atop a low branch on one of the trees, where he could keep an eye on the road. His father laid down under a wide-leafed oak, casting a final glance at Wade before turning onto his side. In minutes, his breathing had slowed and deepened. Wade felt a smile tug at his lips before turning his attention back to the road. The soft chirping of crickets threatened to lull him to sleep, but he resisted the urge.

Wade drew the sword sheathed at his side, resting it across his knees. His sword, now: he'd taken it from the forge before they left Aleran for the final time. He fingered the rough leather hilt absentmindedly. He'd practiced with it a few times against Asher. Each time, he'd ended up sprawled in the dirt, Asher's sword pointed at his chest. The boy knew how to fight, that much was certain.