Chapter Thirty-Six

"Kid."

A distant whine of panic woke in Asher's mind at the sound of the voice, but it was quickly drowned by the heavy, dark waves of sleep washing through him. He hesitated, vaguely aware of the cold wind pressed against his face and the rocky gait of his horse. Each step was sharp and hard, sending jolts of pain through his sore legs and back. Asher sank a little deeper into his dreams, reluctant to remain awake for much longer.

A warm weight settled on Asher's shoulder and gave it a sharp shake. A groan clawed its way free of Asher's throat as his head knocked against his horse's neck, snapping the threads dragging him towards unconsciousness.

"Kid. Asher."

Alarm flooded Asher's veins as he recognized Kain's voice. He bolted upright, his exhaustion disappearing in moments. The Valkir's hand was still on his shoulder; Asher knocked it away with all the force he could muster, fear tightening around his chest. Kain growled a curse, seizing Asher's wrist and yanking his arm down. The touch was like lightning, searing through Asher's body and making the world flicker. He tried to wrench himself free, his blood freezing over as he met the murderer's eyes.

"Calm down," Kain hissed, tightening his grip. The air crackled, and a few jolts of searing pain ran up Asher's forearm. Asher yelped and fought harder, but the burning only grew worse.

"Calm down." Each word was accompanied by another surge of pain. Kain's eyes darkened—still not that awful black fire, but far less calm.

Asher forced himself to still, chest heaving, feet caught in his stirrups, closer to Kain than he had been in nearly three days. He glanced up, desperately trying to reorient himself. Kain was walking beside Asher's horse, his own mount freely trotting on his left. Asher glimpsed Idris riding far ahead of them, while Rivas lagged some distance behind. The man had fallen asleep, his face hidden by his hood.

"Well, at least you're not dead," Kain sighed, releasing Asher after a moment and turning to his horse. He rummaged through the saddlebags, a cold smile tugging at his lips. "We can't have that now, can we?"

Terror lodged in Asher's throat; he choked on it, still able to feel the ghost of Kain's fingers. Kain hadn't spoken to him at all since Evran; Rivas, true to his word, had kept them apart. But Asher had often felt the man's icy brown eyes on him. And now... Asher quietly slipped his feet from his stirrups, preparing to scramble off the horse and run if he had to. Kain ignored him, moving on to another bag with a muttered curse.

"What do you want?" Asher finally managed. His voice cracked from disuse, and he held a hand to his throat. While Kain had been quiet, Asher had been all but mute.

Kain glanced over his shoulder, his sharp gaze slicing from Asher's face to his hands. Asher flinched away, instinctively tugging at his horse's reins to put some distance between them. As usual, it didn't listen to his feeble commands.

After another moment of searching, Kain pulled a vial from the bag and held it out. The silver liquid within was all too familiar. Asher dared to breathe again, realization chasing away some of his fear. It was just time for him to take that shikat drug again.

Kain gave the vial a little shake, narrowing his eyes in a silent command. Asher snatched it from the Valkir and drank as quickly as possible, wincing as the crash of exhaustion it usually brought swept over him. He handed the container back, flinching when his finger brushed against Kain's palm. Too close. They were too close. Asher resisted the urge to look back at Rivas.

How desperate I am, he thought dryly, feeling slightly ill. My only protection is the man who caught me in the first place.

Kain was still watching him. Asher clenched his jaw, another wave of dread shivering through him, and looked around again. The road was far wider than it had been when Asher closed his eyes that morning: two wagons would have been able to move it, though the only other travelers he spotted were far behind him. Trees lined either side of the cobbles, broadly spaced and interspersed with long grass and weeds. The sun shone directly overhead, though its watery light doing nothing to chase away the chill lingering in the air.