Chapter IV - New Day, New Desk

It had been a week since you first joined the nine-nine. So far, your time had been completely uneventful, some might even say boring. You had been helping on small cases and writing reports, but all you wanted was to properly get back on the force. You were getting ready to talk to Holt when he came up to you.

"Detective L/N you need a proper desk" he instructed. He wasn't wrong. The desk you were using at the moment was actually a portable camping table set up near the kitchen with a wooden chair. The only reason you were sat there was because the two free desks had been destroyed. Boyle had destroyed the one opposite his by spilling an Austrian pickle dish over it. The substance was so toxic it had burnt a hole through the desk. After hearing this story, you understood why no one let him pick where you got lunch when you went out as a group. The desk opposite Rosa had been destroyed surprisingly not by her. It was meant to be where you were going to work but the day after you started Jake wanted to prove he could live in the ceiling, only to fall dramatically onto your desk. The desk did help break his fall but was also crushed to smithereens in the process.

As you looked back at what you had been using to write your reports, you realised how truly grateful you would be to get an actual desk.

"You will still be situated opposite Detective Diaz. I am sorry that because of Boyle and Peralta's incompetence you are only just getting your desk."

"Oh, absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm just glad I'm still in the same spot"

As the words left your mouth you instantly regretted it. You definitely had a crush on Rosa, but you didn't need the whole precinct knowing. You began to panic before feeling a comforting arm on your shoulder.

"Oh yeah, I found change hard to deal with after my time undercover. So, I can understand why you would want the spot you were told you'd get." A goofy voice blurted.

You looked back to see Jake, still with his hand rested gently on your shoulder. Thank god he'd saved you from any other questions about why you wanted to be by Diaz.

"Well, that's all sorted so I will be returning to my desk." Holt uttered before turning back to look at you. "Oh, and detective, seeing as you and Diaz are desk partners, you will be accompanying her on her new case."

With that, he walked back to his office shutting the door in a subtly dignified manner. You looked back to see Jake still behind you now with a mischievous grin plastered on his face.

"Y/N, I've spoken to Amy and we'd love to go get lunch with you today. What do you think?"

You looked at him slightly perplexed. Jake rarely went out to get lunch and if he did it was usually to get a hotdog from the cart right outside the precinct. However, you had forgotten your lunch today in a rush to get in at the same time as Rosa.

"That sounds great Jake. I'll meet back with you and Amy in a few minutes I just have to move some paperwork to my new desk."

You heard a "Right on" from Jake as he pointed finger guns at you before going back to his desk.

Collecting up the last of your files together and shoving them in your new desk draw, you met Amy and Jake at the gate to the Bullpen. They welcomed you with a warm smile before you got into the elevator. As soon as you stepped in you realised, they were up to something. Jake's giggles could be heard from a mile away and Amy kept adjusting her shirt collar. She only did that when she was planning something.

What had you got yourself into?