Chapter XXV - Take my Hand

~~With the nine-nine~~

Hospital machines let out an ominous beep as Rosa ran behind the hospital gurney carrying the only thing she truly cared about in the world. One after the other doors swung open and closed as doctors yelled different things at each other, none of which sounded good.

"Is she going to be okay?" Rosa choked, tears welling in her eyes.

"Ma'am we are going to do everything we can, but I can't promise anything"

Rosa felt her world collapse in on itself once again, her surroundings fading away from view. A security guard held her back as Y/N got wheeled into surgery. She went to find the waiting area, not giving a second thought to the fact she was still covered in blood.

"Rosa, any updates?" Terry asked softly, sitting next to Rosa as the rest of the Nine-Nine piled into the waiting area. Jake looked the most uncomfortable, fidgeting in his seat as his eyes darted from one person to the next.

"Y/N is going to be okay right?" he mumbled.

"None of us can predict the times yet to come Peralta. However, Y/N is one of the strongest people any of us have had the pleasure of knowing. If anyone will make it through this ordeal, it is her" Holt responded in his usual monotone. Rosa noticed his use of the past tense, as everyone around nodded their head in solidarity (except Hitchcock and Scully who were violently shaking the vending machine in an attempt to secure the last Snickers bar). Quiet conversation continued amongst them all, Rosa ignoring what everyone had to say as she stared into space.

~~~~

You dropped in and out of consciousness, trying to hold on. Now and then, you could hear Rosa screaming or crying for you to wake up. You wanted desperately to hug her and tell her you were okay, but you were frozen in pain and tiredness. As a doctor went to stick another needle, causing everything to go pitch black one last time.

~~With the nine-nine~~

It had been five hours since you first went into surgery, only Rosa and Jake were left in the waiting room. Amy was out getting food for the three of them and the others had to leave to get ready for going back to work. A surgeon came through a set of double doors, dark circles under her blue eyes.

"Who is here for Y/N Y/L/N?"

Rosa lept up at the sound of your name, rushing towards the poor doctor.

"Is she okay? Oh god, what happened?" Rosa's voice was harsh and nervous, her words spilling out in a jumble.

"We managed to get her stable. She is very delicate right now so only one visitor at a time. I'll take them to the ICU where she's resting"

Rosa turned to look at Jake and Amy, silently asking them if it was okay for her to see you first. They both nodded without a second thought, not out of fear like usual but because they knew the two of you reuniting was what you both needed.

The doctor took Rosa through countless septic scented hallways until they reached room 3118. Rosa smiled realising your room and her badge number were the same.

"She won't be able to respond or talk to you, but she might still hear what you say"

With that, the doctor opened the door and let Rosa inside. She sat in the chair next to you, carefully taking your hand in hers and caressing it with her thumb.

"Hey Y/N, I don't know if you can hear me but I hope you can. Everyone really misses you, I really miss you. I'm so sorry for that stupid mission"

Rosa blurted out the last part, guilt-ridden tears streaming down her face. She couldn't get any more words out, choking on her tears instead. Your face was still all swollen and the famous smile you always wore was stripped from your face.

You lay next to her, but the two of you couldn't be further apart.

~~~~

a/n
Really hope you're enjoying this
I have a few new books out
Hope you like them :)