Chapter VI - Turn it Down

It was the day after your lunch with Amy and Jake. Whilst at the time coming out at the next squad meeting had seemed like a good idea, the closer it got to actually doing it the more you regretted this decision. You knew Amy would be by your side no matter what, but looking through your contacts you realised there was only one person who could be the comedic relief you needed.

~~ Jake Peralta ~~

You:
Hey Jake
I'm getting really nervous about today
Please send help
Esp jokes :)

Whilst you waited for a response you walked over to your kitchen ad began making an iced latte. It wasn't until you were halfway through the coffee that you got a response.

Jake:
Don't stress Y/N
Unless you sh*t a rainbow I don't think
anyone will look at you differently
If ur really nervous tho Amy or I
can call the meeting?

You:
If I sh*t a rainbow I'll leave the country
Would be kinda impressive tho
And plz plz plz call the meeting tysm

Jake:
Deff impressive
N no problem
See ya at werk

~~~~

You chuckled at your phone. Jake had been the right choice and you were so glad you were becoming close friends with him so quickly because he was perfect for Amy in every way.

Instead of doing anything productive with what little time you had left before work you decided to scroll aimlessly through TikTok. It was just mind-numbing enough to take your mind off what you were about to do when you arrived.

Walking over was a lot more difficult than you thought it would be. Your time undercover had already meant that you were jumpy when it came to loud noises and the added nerves meant you were an absolute wreck. Of course, today was bin day. The loud crashes of bins and rubbish and car horns honking behind the garbage truck meant that by the time you did reach the elevator you could barely push the button.

As soon as you stepped into the Bullpen you realised Amy and Jake weren't here yet. Jake had probably insisted on taking his car, only for it to break down and get stuck in the garbage truck traffic. You sighed, taking a seat by your desk opposite Rosa. There was a mug with steam coming off it which you assumed meant she was in as no one dared put their things on Rosa's desk without her permission. As you were looking at her mug she stormed back in scowling furiously. You looked away, pretending to see a notification on your phone as she huffed and sat down. She was clearly mad and you didn't know her well enough to be any kind of help. Boyle however clearly thought this was his cue to come over as he stood up with his arms out.

"Ro-Ro do you need a hug?"

You glanced up and could tell he was half-joking but judging from the look on Rosa's face she was not amused in the slightest.

"Boyle you have lost the right to even call me Rosa. From now on it's Detective or Detective Diaz. One more wrong move and you won't be able to talk to me at all." She warned so coldly even you could tell it wasn't part of some inside joke. Charles opened his mouth to respond but Rosa beat him to it shaking her head slamming her fist on her desk. This loud noise made you jump terribly, and you let out a terrified yelp before walking quickly to the breakroom to try and calm down. You probably would've run but you didn't want anyone making fun of you.

You tried to slow down your breathing to a half normal speed, grabbing something to drink from the vending machine, before turning your attention back to the Bullpen. Sat from inside the breakroom with a bottle of water you could see the commotion that was still continuing outside. Rosa was now even angrier at Charles, but also kept glancing back at you worried. You were surprised by this as Rosa hadn't really spoken to you apart from the occasional work-related comment. You were starting a new case together, but the initial reports were arriving later today, so even that hadn't led to many conversations.

Because you were lost in thought thinking about how Rosa had barely spoken to you, you didn't notice that she had left Boyle to go see how you were doing . You sat there continuing to daydream about what you could do to get her attention, even though she was now sat beside you on the sofa.

"Y/N? Y/N? Are you okay?"

You looked up to see Rosa with a worried expression plastered across her face.

"Yes sorry... I've just been a bit jittery today sorry."

She put her arm around your shoulder, clearly having forgotten what had made her angry moments ago, and brought you into a hug. You felt safe at that moment as you rested your head on her shoulder. The surprising softness of her leather jacket and her slow breathing calmed you down completely.

"Am I interrupting something here?"

You and Rosa immediately separated. She gave you an awkward pat on the shoulder before looking and the woman leaning against the doorway.

"No Gina. I scared the living daylights out of Y/N and I kinda felt bad, I guess. Just making sure she was okay."

"Damn I thought we were finally gonna have a hot couple in the office."

As Gina said this you could see Amy and Jake make their way to the breakroom.

"Hey Gina, me and Jake are dating"

"That's not why you're not a hot couple." Gina said looking at Amy before pointing at her pantsuit. "In your defence, no one looks hot in these"

With that, Gina left Amy dumbfounded and lost for words. You heard Rosa and Jake trying to stifle a few laughs before you all walked over to the meeting room.