Chapter XXII - Morning Announcements

~~Back at the nine-nine~~

Rosa sat rubbing her hands against each other. Outside the precinct, streetlights illuminated dark figures as she sat staring blankly at her computer screen. An image of an old warehouse took up the entire display, rundown but clearly guarded. Whoever owned this property wanted people to ignore it and definitely didn't want people inside. It had been under surveillance by different officers over the past week and Rosa was hoping the guards would be enough of a breakthrough for them to at least get permission to search the place. The light from the image illuminated the only picture she had on her desk, you and her on a date in Central Park right after you almost fell in a lake trying to save your ice cream. Despite losing the ice cream, in the photo you couldn't look happier. Your smile stretched from cheek to cheek and your eyes perfectly focused on Rosa. It hurt her to look at the photo and realise that the (Y/N) she could be getting back might not be the same as the one she lost. Turning back to the screen, a single tear rolled down her face. She tried to wipe it away, but her leather jacket only smeared it further around her face. Now tired, upset, and frustrated, she slammed her fists into her desk before grabbing her helmet and leaving the precinct for the night.

~~~~

You looked up from your chair now completely defeated. No more tears. No more anger. Your eyes had become blank and glassy. The shell of a once bright and cheerful human being. Over the past week, you reached your breaking point. Kimble began threatening that if you didn't start cooperating, he would find your parents and make sure they wouldn't be there if you ever escaped. The thought of them being harmed for something they didn't understand or know about had hit you at your very core and you finally gave in. You had been alone too long to keep fighting when there was no sign of anyone coming for you.

~~Back at the nine-nine~~

"Captain! Captain! Captain dad... I mean dad... I mean captain!" Jake yelled running towards Holt before he even had one foot off the elevator.

"Please tell me we have the go-ahead on the Warehouse. Please, please, pleeeeaaaassseeeeee..." Jake said now almost grovelling before Holt.

Holt rubbed the back of his head, his face giving no indication to whether he had good or bad news.

"Jake, I have informed you many times that begging will get you nowhere." Holt paused to look at Jakes defeated face. "However, anyone on the Detective Y/L/N case, report to the briefing room in five minutes."

As soon as people heard your name, all eyes immediately fixed on Holt. After he finished speaking, not even Hitchcock and Scully waited for five minutes before getting up. Everyone was on their feet immediately, Rosa leading the herd of detectives towards the briefing room.

Everyone sat in their usual seats, yours hadn't been touched or moved since you left. A layer of dust covered the chair because even the cleaners dare not touch it. Rosa sat next to it, her eyes darting to the chair every ten seconds as if she was hoping to look back and see you  magically appear, sat on the chair, complaining about how your new favourite hot drink was too expensive before resting your head on her shoulder. As she went to look back at your chair for the one-thousandth time, Holt walked in caring a thick binder filled with documents. He placed it down carefully before pausing and looking back up, a slight gleam in his eyes.

"As we are all aware, the past few months haven't been easy for any of us. One of our best is out there and they need our help. Thanks to Rosa and everyone's amazing surveillance work, we have finally received the go-ahead on the search and rescue plan. It's going to be long days until this is over, but we need everyone on board. I'm not asking you to help me. I'm asking you to help Y/F/N Y/L/N."

Holt looked up at his team of detectives, none of them wanting to make the first sound.

"Well, if no one has anything to say, you better all get back to work."