Chapter XXIII - How Romantic

T/W: kidnapping and violence

~~With the nine-nine~~

Rosa crouched behind a trash can near the abandoned warehouse, index finger curled around the trigger of her pistol. Her eyes darted from door to door, waiting for an opening. Holt sat in an unmarked car with Jake, the silence between them added to their feeling of discomfort. Not because of the company but because of how high the steaks were.

Gina sat back at the nine-nine helping the cybercrimes unit track the phone of Kimble, cybercrimes using highly skilled data tracking and Gina using snap maps. To the untrained eye, she looked completely unbothered and relaxed, but if you looked closely, you could see a film of sweat forming on her brow and hints of dark circles under layers of concealer and foundation.

Amy sat watch, a mile away in a minivan with Terry, looking out for Kimble's car. Every five seconds she would glance at her phone in hopes of an update, only to be met by her lock screen. A selfie of you, her, and Jake at Sal's pizza right after you joined the nine-nine. As much as she loved the photo, it was now a painful reminder of her friend who was currently missing. Terry noticed the picture for the first time as Amy looked at her phone for the hundredth.

"We're gonna find her Amy"

"How can you be so sure... We're not even certain she's here" Amy replied, sinking deeper into her seat.

"Yes, but like I say to my girls: We can either give up now and never know... or we can keep trying. You'll never know unless you try. And let's be honest, right now Y/N needs all the help she can get"

"You're right I'm letting my nerves get the best of me before we even begin. Right okay, we're looking for a black Chevrolet Camaro, number plate: KBL 2396. We can't follow it in case he notices, we just have to alert the others"

As Amy reminded herself of her mission brief, the exact car they had been waiting for sped past them well over the speed limit.

"Well Amy, looks like it's go time" Terry smiled before grabbing his phone and radio to alert the others.

~~~~

You sat, half asleep, covered in a layer of dirt and blood, still strapped to a metal chair. A cool breeze made its way through the cracks in the concrete surrounding you, comforting your wounds but leaving you feeling colder than you were already. The slight hope that someone would come and save you had all faded and your eyes had become dull and lifeless. The sound of a car engine outside made you even more nervous as the rumbles shook the room you were in. Time had blended into one long mush of darkness, but the one thing that had remained a constant was that engine. Its rumbles were almost like a warning cry, screaming at you to run.

Despite the fear that entered your body when you heard it, it was scarier when it stopped.

The slow and heavy footsteps that left a hollow thud as they got louder and louder belonged to the mad who now terrified you to your very core. As all the things he'd done started replaying in your mind, the door creaked open.

"Ah Y/N. So lovely to see you again. Now today, I have good news and bad news. Which would you like first?"

Kimble's face was skewed into his signature crooked smile. His eyes, whilst small, managed to look straight through you every time.

"Oh, come on... It's about your friends. If you can even call them that after abandoning you."

Your face darted up, before realising Kimble was probably playing with you and there was in fact no new news.

"So Y/N, good or bad?"

"Bad" you mumbled, dreading the words that were about to be said.

"Always the pessimist aren't we Y/N. Well, like always, I'm going to ignore your opinion and give you the good news first."

The smile on his face was now bigger, stretching from ear to ear. He seemed to be the only person who could look evil with dimples.

"Good news is your friends are coming to save you. Bad news is you're not going to be able to greet them when they do find you."

The last half of what Kimble had to say was done with a dry chuckle that sent a sickening feeling to your very core.

"Whilst kidnapping you got me no leverage with the police, it did mean that their efforts were put elsewhere whilst I got further with my... side hustle. And that gang you turned in two years ago, who have now changed name since that stunt you pulled, well they'll welcome me with open arms once I put a dagger in your chest. My face is the last thing you'll ever see..."

Kimble's hand stretched out to reach your face, kneeling down to be at your height.

"How romantic."

Kimble's face was now centimetres from yours. His cheap cologne and bad breath making your skin crawl. A murmur of tyres on loose stones became louder as Kimble reached in his pocket.

"Tell the Devil I say hi."

And with that he plunged a dagger deep between your third and fourth rib, leaving wedged inside of you before getting up and leaving as if nothing had happened.