Part 36

What was it with all these Knight Inc. buildings? Why did all of them have to be the tallest and most intimidating buildings in the city? As if anyone needed any more reason to be impressed by the status of the company or the individuals who own it. 

I was once again in a waiting room not too different from the one I had been in when I went for my job interview. Everything about our current situation felt familiar and yet unsettlingly strange at the same time. Although I was now standing right behind Mr Knight instead of waiting to see him, I still didn't feel like I belonged here. 

All the employees were busy working and occasionally their eyes roamed over Mr Knight as they passed, filled with admiration. When they noticed me behind him, all of that fell away. No one tried to hide the fact that somehow I didn't fit in. Maybe it was the fact that my work attire was clearly less expensive than theirs, or that my hair wasn't styled back as chicly, or that my make-up wasn't plastered on so that you could no longer see the freckles sprayed over my nose and cheeks. Whatever it was, it was clear that no one was going to try and make me feel welcome, even though we were working for the same company.

A receptionist came sashaying out from behind her desk when she saw Mr Knight entering the building. She was wearing a red fitted dress and matching red lipstick, which complimented her honey blonde hair that was flowing down her back. She was everything that I wasn't and what everyone in this building expected me to be. I wasn't paying attention to anything that she was saying to William, rather choosing to observe our surroundings and the snooty people within it. 

From the side of my eye, I noticed her reaching out to William. My eyes were glued to her manicured claws brushing over the fabric of his button-down shirt. Her movements were so transparent and even a fool could tell what her intentions were.

I wonder if William was falling for her flirtatious manoeuvres...

I couldn't see his face from where I was standing without being too obvious about it. So, I stood still, not-so-patiently waiting for the dimwit to stop flirting and take us to our meeting. 

William turned sideways, causing her arm to fall back to her side and finally bringing me into view. His rejection of her advances and the sight of me did not please her at all. It did the opposite to my own, an almost smug smile gracing my lips. She turned on the spot and started clanking in the direction of what I could only assume was the board member's office. 

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little satisfied by the fact that the sight of me turned the receptionist into a sulking toddler who lost her favourite plaything. I hated it when women lowered themselves in such a way as if their appearance was all that gave them worth and was the only way to get ahead. It gave a bad name to the female gender. 

We reached a large set of doors. Unlike William's, these doors were made of thick glass, which is an architectural idea that I have never been drawn to. What's the use of a door, or walls for that matter if they were completely see-through? Weren't these things created to provide a boundary or some form of privacy? How can you have any of those things if people can see every move you make?

The receptionist turned around facing us once more. Facing William was probably more accurate. Her flirtatious smile and fluttering lashes were in full force again.

This woman certainly bounced back fast, I'll give her that much.

"Here we are. I'll be just down the hall if you need anything." She stared up at him through her lashes.

Oh, bloody hell...

"Oh don't worry about that." I said stepping next to William, "I think we'll manage." 

I plastered the sweetest smile I could muster on my face, earning me a glare before she sauntered off. I didn't need to look at William to know that he was staring at me throughout the whole interaction. 

I had a feeling that I knew what he was thinking and he was wrong. I was not jealous. Not of her and definitely not because she was blatantly flirting with him like a fool with no regard for who else was in the room.

The door in front of us opened, gaining our attention.

A woman stood in the doorway. Her chin was lifted high with self-importance and her gaze steely. Her scrutinizing eyes reminded me of William's but instead of wanting to squirm under them, hers made me wish for a natural disaster to strike me from this earth.

"Elizabeth, I would like you to meet one of our most prominent board members, Catherine Knight, my aunt."