17 | Astrid

Astrid

- Wednesday, 4:09 pm -

I haven't gotten any messages from Rowan since the fight on Friday. It's good that I've had the last few days off but this many days off is alarming. Something big must be coming. Last time this happened he told me that we were flying to Russia to fight in a larger corporation. I won that, of course, but it was a lot. I fear that this next big thing might make or break me.

- 8:12 pm -

"No! I promise!" I plead to Nicole.

"Astrid, last time you were here you got wasted and flirted with some guy." She says.

"Who did I flirt with?" I ask.

"The owner of Grey Mechanics. You seemed to know him." When the words come out of her mouth the fact that Damon knows my name makes sense. That's what he was talking about.

"And you didn't tell me this because!? I didn't do anything too crazy, right?" I ask, hoping I didn't do anything to embarrass myself.

"You were practically falling all over him." She laughs. My eyes widen. "Don't worry about it." She brushes it off. "And no, you're not having a second drink." She says.

"But mom!" I whine.

"No child." She says handing another person their drink.

I'm about to beg some more, but my phone rings. I look down at the name "Rowan."

"Whose Rowan?" Nicole asks.

"I gotta take this." I say and walk right outside with no further talk with Nicole. "Yes, Rowan?"

"Ash you are needed, now." He says.

"I'm on my way." I say. He hangs up the phone and I head right to my car. I text Nicole just saying I'm leaving and I don't look at her response. I'm too busy speeding down the road.

A million different ways this could pan out. I could be going back to Italy, or Russia for a big fight. Or maybe something dare I say, bigger. I don't know if my body can take another climacteric. I'm so tired, physically, and metally.

Before I know it, I'm walking into the ring with a mind full of possibilities. He isn't in the ring, so I walk up to his office. I open the door and he is sitting behind his desk waiting for me. He tells me to take a seat.

"Big fight on Friday. And you better win. Because if you do, you will have two weeks off. But if you lose, everynight you will be in at least one match, until you earn me what you lost me." Rowan explains.

"I don't have a choice do I?" I frown.

"Cut it. You will train with Coen tonight, and tomorrow. Friday you will be at the ring by seven for the ten o'clock fight." He growls.

"Who am I going against that seems so important?" I ask.

"You don't know him." He shrugs.

"Just tell me the name." I demand.

"Damon Grey. You will beat him to death if you must." He commands.

Is that why Damon was here the other night? And I'm supposed to beat him? Damon is huge. I won't be able to get a punch on him. I'll have to train until I drop. Does he know we are going against each other? This fight is a big deal. I can't deal with the retribution.

- 3:26 am -

"It's time to stop for the night." Coen says with heavy breaths.

"No. l-lets keep going." I manage to say.

"You're barely standing." Coen says trying to push me out of the ring. I'm too weak to fight it, but I try my best to twist his arm and push him to the ground until he cries. That's all the energy I had. "Good. You fought through fatigue." He says standing up.

"Thanks." I almost whisper. I try to stand up, but my legs collapse out from under me. Coen puts my arm over his shoulder and helps me to my feet.

"Do you think you can drive?" He asks me.

"No, can you just help me to the basement?" I ask.

"Yea."

We make our way to the basement of the building and into the room where I used to stay. It still has a bed, and couch. Right next to it is a gloomy bathroom. "Thanks. I'll be here for training tomorrow." I say plopping onto the bed.

"Alright. Call me if you need anything." He says walking to the door.

"Will do." Then I'm asleep.