30 | Astrid

Astrid

- Next morning, 4:32 am -

Home at last, well not yet. I pull into town and I see cops everywhere. I was speeding so I immediately slow down, but I'm to late. Red and blue lights flicker from behind me. I pull over and have a fit with my steering wheel before the cop comes to my window.

I cover my face with my hood. I hope it's not my father. Thankfully it's not. He knocks on my window and I roll it down. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" He asks in a low voice.

I try my best to avoid any and all eye contact. "Yes." I answer.

"Why would that be?" He questions.

"My speeding. Can I just pay you here?" I ask, pulling out my wallet.

"You were doing seventy-three on a thirty. So no, you'll have to come to court." He explains.

"But, can I please just give you the money now?" I ask again.

"I.D. please." He orders. With a silent huff I hand him my drivers license. "Astrid Steel?" He scoffs. "Look at me." He orders.

Slowly I turn my head to face him. His eyes widen. My face must be covered in bruises. "Yea, bar fight." I lie.

"Ms. Steel. I need to come with me." He says handing me back my card.

"It was just a small bar fight. Give me the ticket and I won't do it again." I ask, getting angry.

"Ms. Steel, please come with me." I repeat.

"Where are we going?" I ask, putting my phone, wallet and keys into my pocket.

"Down town, ma'am." He states. I would snap at him for the "ma'am", but I'm too tired. "Please get into my car."

"Officer-" I start.

"Ms. Steel, into my car." He says calmly.

He backs up and I get out of my car locking it. What's going to happen to my car?! He leads me to the back of his cop car and opens the door for me. I scoff before I get in. He closes the door and gets into the driver's seat. "If anything happens to my car, your paying for it!" I exclaim. "You're not kidnapping me right?" I ask.

"No, Ms. Steel." He says. The Officer reaches for this radio and presses a button. "Officer one-nine-two. I have a one-one-two." He speaks.

Five minutes later we arrive at the Police Station of Darron. The parking lot is filled with cop cars. In the middle is my parents and Charles. Their frowns turn into happy cries. I get out of the car and they all run at me. Charles hitting me first. He wraps his arms around my waist, I try not to show any pain.

My mother touches my face as she looks at the bruises that I'm sure are there. "W-what happened?" She asks withs a shaky voice.

"Bar fight." I lie again.

"Lord child." My father breaths before hugging me tighter. Too tight. Unwillingly I wrap my arms around them. Their sobs make me cringe. Eventually they release me and my mother cups my face again.

"We were so worried!" My mother cries.

"I was only gone a day." I state.

"You're moving back in with us." My father says without question.

I chuckle. "No I'm not."

"We will talk about this later." He says.

We will not. The parking lot empties and we file into the car. Charles sits in the middle seat and leans against me. It's sad that the only reason that I truly wanted to live was for Charles. Not my parents. Charles.