Chapter Sixteen: The beauty underneath

I've been walking with (Y/N) in my arms for what felt like hours. I had (Y/N) wrapped up like a baby in the blanket to keep her warm. She talked about anything to tell me she was still with me. She wasn't falling asleep so often as before so she was getting physically stronger. That was good news for me but not good enough. I needed her home, warm, safe, and, eventually, healthy again. After three days of trying to survive, most of it spent in a cottage, we made it to the town.

The feeling of relief washed over me. I went to the nearest phone, called the Avengers and told them we were Okay but we need to be picked up while also telling them about (Y/N)'s condition. They arrived and took us back to the Avengers HQ. (Y/N) was taken care of. Everyone was shocked at the fact that the strongest Avenger to ever walk the Earth because so weak from experiments and the cold. But I didn't care. She's safe now and that's all that matters to me.

"Well done, Reindeer Games. You saved her," Tony said.

"Barely. If you woke me up she would've been home sooner and she wouldn't be so weak," I said.

"The 'ifs' don't matter now. She's home, she's safe," Steve said.

I just nodded in agreement.

"Well, I'm going to throw a party when she's back to normal to celebrate you and her making back. Perhaps try to make a move on her," Tony said.

If she would like it which I highly doubt. I saw in Tony's mind that he had a plan to get (Y/N) and I together. Turns out everyone thought (Y/N) and I were exactly like the Phantom and Christine. I suppose we are. But I am nothing like Christine. I've read the story many times, and, if (Y/N) agrees to be with me, I will be so much better than Christine. (Y/N) got better and Tony threw that stupid party. (Y/N) was there. She was acting like the events that happened the last three days never happened. That hurt.

But she wasn't acting herself. I wanted to look into her mind but I decided not to. But she appeared uncomfortable or nervous. There also weren't many people here. Just the team. (Y/N) soon asked me to do the karaoke with her. I agreed. We went to the microphones and waited for the music to start. It was Beauty Underneath from Love Never Dies. The musical sequel to the Phantom of the Opera.

(Y/N) started, 'Have you ever yearned to go past the world you think you know? Been enthralled to the call of the beauty underneath? Have you let it draw you in past the place where dreams begin? Felt the full breathless pull of the beauty underneath? When the dark unfolds its wings do you sense the strangest things? Things no one would ever guess. Things mere words cannot express?'

"Yes!" I said

'Do you find yourself beguiled by the dangerous and wild? Do you feed on the need for the beauty underneath? Have you felt your senses surge and surrendered to the urge? And been hooked as you looked at the beauty underneath? When you stare behind the night, can you glimpse its primal might? Might you hunger to possess? Hunger that you can't repress?'

"Yes! It seems so beautiful. So strange, yet beautiful. Everything's just as you say.'

'And he's so beautiful. Perhaps too beautiful. What I suspect cannot be. And yet, somehow, we both see the very same way.'

'Is the music in your head? Have you followed where it led? And been graced with a taste of the beauty underneath? Does it fill your every sense? Is it terribly intense? Tell me you need it, too. Need the beauty underneath.'

'When it lifts its voice and sings,' we sang together, 'Don't you feel amazing things? Things you know you can't confess. Things you thirst for nonetheless.'