Chapter Twenty: The snap

Well, life with (Y/N) is better than I had ever imagined. (Y/N) and I are happily married in that house in the country. We were planning to have children but so far we've had no luck. That doesn't matter. I'm happy with our life and the woman I love. (Y/N) doesn't wear her mask anymore unless we're going out to get shopping, meeting people we've befriended or when people come to visit.

But, right now, (Y/N) and I are cuddling on our bed. I'm sitting upright with my arms around her while she lays on me, facing away. I love this position and (Y/N) does too. She says it helps remind her that she's still alive after everything we've been through. I was staring into space thinking how mortal life wasn't as bad as I first thought. Especially with (Y/N) by my side.

"Loki?" (Y/N) said.

"Yes, my dear?" I asked looking at her.

(Y/N) looked at me, smiling, "I have something for you."

"Oh really?" I asked smiling.

She gave me a small rectangular box in shiny green and gold wrapping paper.

"What is it?" I asked smiling and taking the box.

"Open it and see, my King," (Y/N) said smiling.

I started to carefully open it when she grabbed my arm tightly. I looked at her to see a worried look on her face.

"Loki..." She said sounding scared.

"What's the matter, love?" I asked holding her close.

"I don't feel good."

She looked into my eyes. I put a hand on her cheek as she started fading into dust and she was gone. I sat there in shock, sadness and confusion. But then the realisation hit me like a bullet; she's gone. And I cried and screamed, begging her to come back to me but she was gone. The only thing left of her is her present and her mask. But I couldn't open the present. I couldn't.

I wouldn't. I went to find Noir but he was gone too. Just like (Y/N). After three days of crying and wallowing in sorrow, I picked myself up, cleaned myself up, and went to the Avengers new Headquarters. They let me in. I was still in an awful state even after cleaning myself up a little. My hair was a mess, my eyes, bloodshot, red, and puffy from all my crying, I was wearing some black trousers and a black hoodie. Just looking at me, you would know what happened. I saw everyone for the first time in years.

Steve, Nat, Bruce, Tony's fiancée, Pepper Potts, Rhodey, a talking raccoon called Rocket and Thor who had shorter hair. When Thor saw me he ran up to me looking relieved before looking concerned. I showed him (Y/N)'s mask and told him she was gone before breaking down into tears. Thor hugged me to comfort me and I hugged him back but I miss (Y/N) so much. She's the only person I've ever truly loved and now she's gone. The sunshine in my life has been taken from me.

All the Avengers pitied me but told me that half of the universe disappeared in the same way (Y/N) and Noir did. And when they told me who did it, I wanted to kill him. Thanos. He's the one who gave me the sceptre to take over New York. The sceptre was in control of me at the time. I'm infuriated at him while thankful he made me do what I did. If it didn't happen, I wouldn't have met (Y/N) but I hate him for killing her. Thor sat me down and handed me something to drink. I just took it and looked at (Y/N)'s mask.

I would do anything to have her back in my arms again. I miss her dearly. I still hadn't brought myself to open her present either. A part of me told me to open it but another part of me told me to wait until she returned to me. A ignored them both but I couldn't get rid of it. I felt that it was disrespectful to throw away the last thing (Y/N) gave me. Everyone told me what happened. Thanos got all six infinity stones and used them to wipe out 50% of the universe with a snap of his fingers.

And took (Y/N) from me. I stayed with the Avengers for another twenty days. Tony came back in a spaceship with a blue woman who was later revealed to be a cyborg named Nebula. A blond woman had carried the ship back to Earth and her name was Carol Danvers. Tony looked to be in a really bad state. We got him inside, into some new clothes and put him on an IV drip. He's so pale. Paler than me.

"It's been twenty-three days since Thanos came to Earth," Rhodey said as a hologram showed us who we had lost, (Y/N) included.

"World governments are in pieces," Nat said, "The parts that are still working... are trying to take a census and it looks like he did... he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out...50% of all living creatures."

I looked at Thor who was in the other room angry because he thought he failed at keeping all living things alive.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony asked.

"We don't know," Steve said, "he just opened a portal and walked through."

Tony sighed and looked at Thor, "what's wrong with him?"

"Oh, he's pissed," Rocket said, "He thinks he failed. Which, of course, he did but there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear."

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing," Steve explained, "Tony, you fought him."

"Who told you that?" Tony asked, "I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight, 'cause he's not beatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?"

Tony just made a noise basically saying, 'no'.

"I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming," Tony said.

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus," Steve said.

"And I needed you. As in, past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late, buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" Tony shoved a bowl of food he was eating away and stood up, "I need a shave. And I believe I remember telling all youse..." Tony took the IV out, "... alive and otherwise, that what we needed was a suit of armour around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?"

"I said we'd lose. You said, 'we'll do that together, too.'. And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the 'Avengers'. We're the 'Avengers', not the 'Pre-vengers'," Rhodey tried to tell Tony to sit down now he's made his point but he wasn't finished.

Tony got away from Rhodey and pointed at Carol, "She's great by the way. We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules. I got nothing for you, Cap. I got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust, liar," Tony's breathing became shaky as he took off his Arc Reactor on his chest and gave it to Steve, "Here, take this. You find him, you put that on and you hide."

Tony then collapsed before fainting. He was taken to another room to rest. I should probably rest too. It's been days but I am not resting until that purple, bald-headed titan is dead! He will pay for what he's done! I swear on my life, he will pay! I don't care who kills him first, he must pay!

(A/N: You all have permission to hate me.)