Chapter Twenty-one: She's gone

I was deep in thought when Rhodey snapped me out of it.

"Bruce gave him a sedative," Rhodey said referring to Tony, "he's gonna probably be out for the rest of the day."

"You guys take care of him and I'll bring him a Xorrian elixir when I come back," Carol said.

"Where are you going?" Steve asked as Carol walked away.

"To kill Thanos."

"Then you're taking me with you. I have a score to settle with that monster," I said.

"Hey," Nat said making Carol look at her, "you know, we usually work as a team here and, uh, between you and I, morale's a little fragile."

"We realise up there is more your territory, but this is our fight, too," Steve said.

"You even know where he is?" Rhodey asked.

"I know people who might," Carol said.

"Don't bother," Nebula said, "I can tell you where Thanos is. Thanos spent a long time trying to perfect me. And when he worked, he talked about his Great Plan. Even disassembled, I wanted to please him. I'd ask; where would we go once his plan was complete? His answer was always the same. 'To the Garden'."

"That's cute," Rhodey said, "Thanos has a retirement plan."

"So, where is he?" I asked.

Rocket pulled up a hologram of Earth, "When Thanos snapped his fingers Earth became ground zero for a power surge of ridiculously cosmic proportions. No one's seen anything like it. Until two days ago..." The hologram showed a different planet looking almost exactly like Earth, "on this planet."

"Thanos is there," Nebula said.

"He used the stones again," Nat said.

"Hey, hey, hey," Bruce chuckled, "We'd be going in short-handed, you know?"

"Look, he's still got the stones, so..."

"So let's get 'em," Carol interrupted Rhodey, "Use them to bring everyone back."

"Just like that?" Bruce asked.

"Yeah," Steve said, "just like that."

"Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this. I mean, we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try," Nat said.

"If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?" Bruce asked.

"Because before you didn't have me," Carol said.

"Hey, new girl? Everyone in this room is about that superhero life except Loki who just wants to live his life with (Y/N). Sorry to bring it up because you're still grieving," Rhodey said as I nodded saying it's fine, "And if you don't mind my asking, where the hell have you been all this time?"

"There are a lot of other planets in the universe. And unfortunately, they didn't have you guys," Carol said.

Thor stood up from the table in the back where he was eating and went up to Carol. He called Mjolnir which wasn't a hammer but an axe now and said he liked Carol. Now time to kill Thanos. We took the spaceship Tony and Nebula came here with and went to the planet Thanos was on. I had changed into my armour so now I didn't look like a slob anymore. Carol left for a minute to check for any army or defences. She came back reporting no satellites, no ships, no armies and no ground defences of any kind. It's just him.

We flew down. Bruce had put on the Hulk buster since him and the real Hulk were having a thing so he wouldn't show up. Everyone attacked Thanos apart from Steve, me, Nebula, Rocket and Nat who just walked through the now smashed open door. Carol had him in a chokehold, Rhodey held Thanos' other arm away from him and Thor had cut off the hand he had a golden gauntlet on. Thanos' face was burned going all the way down to his arm. It wasn't as bad as what (Y/N) had. Rocket turned the gauntlet over but there were no stones. Where are they? What has he done with them?!

I made my dagger appear and pointed it at him, "Where are they?"

Thanos didn't answer.

"Answer the question," Carol told him.

"The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose beyond temptation," Thanos explained.

"You murdered trillions!" Bruce yelled pushing him over.

"You should be grateful!" Thanos said.

Bruce punched him.

I pressed my dagger up to his throat, "Where are the stones?" I asked again, my patients very thin now.

"Gone. Reduced to atoms," Thanos said.

"You used them two days ago!" Bruce said.

"I used the stones to destroy the stones."

I backed away. Why? Why would he do this?

"It nearly killed me," Thanos continued, "but the work is done. It always will be. I am inevitable."

I wasn't accepting this. I can tell he's telling the truth but I won't believe this. I did not come all this way just to hear that I will never get (Y/N) back!

"We have to tear this place apart. He has to be lying!" I said, desperate now.

"My father is many things. A lair is not one of them," Nebula said.

"Ah. Thank you, daughter," Thanos said to her, "Perhaps I treated you too harshly."

Thor had enough and chopped his head off. I wanted to cry. Scream. I've lost her. I've lost everything. But I didn't break. Thanos is dead. He will never hurt anyone again. Thor left the house. We followed not long after. When we arrived back on Earth, I asked Thor what happened to his eye because I noticed his right eye was a different colour. He told me about Ragnarök. A prophecy that destroyed Asgard. He also told me we had an older sister. Hela, the Goddess of death.

He lost his eye to her in battle. The one he has now is a robotic eye Rocket gave him while they were going to make his new axe to stop Thanos before he snapped his fingers. The axe was called Stormbreaker. And I wasn't around when all this happened because I was living my new life with (Y/N). After a few months, Thor found somewhere new to be Asgard. All the people who survived both Thanos' attack and his snap live there now. I do too. I moved all mine and (Y/N)'s belongings into a house on the edge of the town.

I made a memoir for (Y/N) in the living room. A big picture of her mask-less with flowers around it. Her small belongings and her mask around it too. I couldn't let her go. Something told me I shouldn't. So that's why I made the memoir. So, life goes on. I change the flowers regularly, clean her belongings and the house, I keep myself looking smart, I play (Y/N)'s favourite songs daily and I live life like she's still here. But I never leave the house. I'm given supplies but no one sees me because I wait for them to leave. I know I should move on but it's hard to. But I will one day.