2

The employee didn't budge.

Are you kidding me? My life means less than your stupid job?

"Ladies, gentlemen and children. This is how much your local store cares about you!" The first robber, who I now assumed was leading the whole crew, announced. "They would rather let one of you die than give us money. You tell us, who really are the bad guys?"

I mean...clearly, you lot are the bad ones, but hey, you got a point.

I waited, giving the employee one more second to point the robbers to her manager and save my ass.

"Last warning," The robber seethed from behind me, pushing the gun harder into my skull.

I tried to escape his hold but his grip was steel-like.

Why is it always me?

Once more, I tried pulling out of his grip. I kicked his shin, earning I gasp of pain and an ounce of satisfaction.

"Relax, darling. You're not in harm's way." The robber muttered tightly. "I wouldn't shoot such a pretty thing."

I cringed even though he couldn't see my expressions from behind me. If he thought that sentiment was reassuring he was wrong. And the lame attempt on flirting or whatever he'd just done only motivated me further to get out of his grip.

"Can you please get your manager? People have lives to live." I asked, politeness lacking in my tone. Okay so maybe I'm really hungry for pasta, but that is beside the point.

The employee looked between me and someone else. Someone on the ground in a blue uniform matching hers. Ah. The manager.

Nothing.

Fine then, guess I'll take matters into my own hands.

"The manager is there, on the floor." I nodded with my head. "Now let me go."

The masked figures shared what I assumed were smiles because I could only see their eyes.

"At least one of you has some brains."

That's right, ladies, gentlemen and children, I have brains.

I let out a breath of relief once the robber lowered the gun from my head and stepped away.

The manager was brought to his feet. It was now his turn to have a gun held to his head. I watched as the manager led two of the robbers to the back of the store

"Move quickly and no one will get hurt. We just want the money and we'll leave." The first robber that had spoken explained.

Three remained, their eyes fixed on the customers. The one who'd held a gun to my head kept sparing me glances. I crossed my arms feeling discomfort spurring within me.

The silent employee sent me a death glare. I threw one right back at her. You don't argue with armed people. Especially not when they had their weapons directed at me.

If the manager fired the employee then this store really wasn't a place she should be working at in the first place. As well, sure a couple of thousand dollars may be in the vault, but the robbers just wanted the money. Death on their hands probably wasn't something they were looking forward to.

After living in California and all that I'd experienced I'd decided to try not to be the hero all the time and to avoid conflict where possible.

* * *

Eventually, the robbers ran out of the store with two bags each, filled to the brim in cash. It had probably been a couple of hundred thousand dollars. Oops.