25

"Doesn't he seem a bit too young to be a personal trainer?" Dallas asked as he walked me to the gym.

We'd taken the train to Texas. It took a good two hours. The four of us kept our heads down but it didn't seem like the news of our alleged crimes had spread.

Kyle was suspicious at first, but I recalled during one of our sessions him saying how he lived alone in a big house. He hadn't heard any news of us being on the run, thankfully. So, I lied and told him that my apartment was infested with rats, and I had no where else to go.

He agreed to let me stay over until I figured things out.

It was convincing him to let Ellie, Ace and Dallas to all stay over that was challenging.

So I came up with another genius lie and said that they were all my roommates, and we had nowhere to go, were broke, and desperate.

Kyle had been reluctant at first, but after a lot of pestering, he agreed to pick us up from the train station.

He drove us to his house, a good thirty-minute drive away. His place was pretty big considering he lived alone, and it was secluded. Four bedrooms, a home gym, and even a gaming room. There was even a campfire site in his backyard.

"What are you talking about?" I snorted, pulling open the gym door.

Dallas shrugged, motioning for me to step in first. "I think he's using this job to pick up girls. Pretty ones like yourself."

"He doesn't like me like that." I objected.

"He's of the male species, right?" Dallas asked, dead serious.

I frowned at him. "Uh...yeah?"

Kyle's home gym was pretty similar to that of the actual gyms I'd worked out. Made sense, considering he was a trainer. After settling in, and sleeping, Kyle offered a session, saying it would help pass some time and also benefit me. He also said I wouldn't have to pay for it. I had no disagreements.

The four of us knew our next goal was to somehow get back the sapphire necklace from Venom. Without it, the vault, which Kyle had eyed but didn't question, would be useless to us. The only question was how.

"And his vision isn't impaired?" Dallas confirmed.

I scoffed. "No, it's fine."

"And he's seen you?"

"Obviously."

"Yeah." Dallas nodded to himself. "He's in love with you. There's not one guy who's set their eyes on you and not fallen instantly in love."

"It would be really conceited to think like that." I shook my head in disbelief. "He's like thirty. There's no way he thinks of me that way. Hell, I bet he's married!"

Dallas laughed. "Ah, so he's in the market for a mistress."

I smacked the back of his head, earning a low chuckle. "Shut up."

He shrugged. "I only speak the truth."

"Need I remind you about all the lies you've told me?" I playfully threatened.

Dallas frowned. "I'll never lie to you again."

And with that, he left the gym.

* * *

Once again, Kyle started our session by throwing an arm around my shoulders.

Despite my shoulder still being sore from removing the chip, I managed to grab his arm, pull him forward and bring him to his knees. I didn't kick the back of his knees, however.