Chapter 16

Dan was here.

Apparently, he quickly recovered from his last night's escapade. His brown hair was disheveled, he was wearing a red hoodie, black pants, and hokey skates in the same color.

He was looking perfectly fine, the gloomy person I saw an hour ago was gone.

"Who invited you? This space is rented"

Max was wearing a creamy beige sweater and khaki pants. The contrast between boys was visible in hairstyle, Dan's hair was disheveled and in every direction, Max's hair had lighter shade and they were neatly tied in a small bun he watched his brother with a cold expression on his face.

"Exactly the words I will tell you when you ask me to borrow my car" Dan smirked.

I understood quickly why Max was rude.

On the ice, Dan was wrecking absolute chaos. While Max's moves were graceful and deliberate. Dan was unpredictable and he was moving with a lighting speed.

Max rolled at his show-off brother who was trying to impress a one-person audience - me. And I wasn't very demanding considering that I knew absolutely nothing about ice skating and could barely keep myself in a standing position.

I probably looked like a complete idiot with a mouth gaping open like a dead fish but I was absolutely shocked at Dan's abilities. He was amazing.

Unfortunately, I have become the unwilling target of his teasing. He quickly got bored skating alone and decided it's time to part me with a beloved barrier that kept me safely in a standing position.

"Ellie fear not, just go," he said gently pushing me towards the center of the ice which made me scream loudly as if someone was about to murder me.

After I calmed down a little and I stopped in place I started moving, in a sloppy way trying to gain some sort of balance.

Dan looked with distaste at my figure skates with jagged-teeth looking design at the tip of each blade.

"Why did you borrowed figure skates for her she's gonna kill herself in this. Hockey skates are better for the beginners" he complained to his brother.

Oh, I see they have trust in me.

"Hokey skates are better for speed skating which she's not gonna do because you're not going to teach her that," Max said, warning in his voice.

"We will see about that" Dan said darkly.

I was screaming my lungs out as Dan was having fun chasing me around the ice, I had to admit though I was feeling more and more confident with my movements. Max gave up on trying to train in peace and he focused on stretching.

I hugged Max from behind "Please save me"

"Leave her alone you idiot"

"She's being dramatic everything is fine"

"I will tell Andrew on you" I threatened.

Max smirked "See, she learns quickly"

"Oh I'm sorry I forgot that everyone in this family except me is allergic to fun"

"Define fun" Max challenged in a monotonous voice.

"Thank you for proving my point"

"If you traumatize her she won't show up here in the future" Max warned.

"If you bore her she won't show up either"

While Max and Dan were arguing I had a moment of peace where I could enjoy skating alone.

Just when I thought I'm getting it, I was doing well, excelling Dan had to cut off my way by sharply taking a turn on the right. It successfully threw me off the balance I screamed I would fall but instead I floated in the air. It was Dan. He picked me up in his muscular arms.

"Let me down" I screeched, scared shitless. That crazy bastard tried to kill me. We're on the ice. He can't pick me up like that on ice or ever but especially on ice with skates on.

He had the audacity to laugh.

"You're so funny, little sister"

"What's so funny to you?! Let me down. Wait don't let me down" I was clinging to him like a koala what made him laugh even more. How was he still standing on ice was beyond me. "Get me off the ice please" I pleaded and to my surprise he listened.

Surprisingly my request was fulfilled. I was so grateful to be on the ground again I wanted to kiss it. What a relief. I'm alive. I survived.

"You did well for the first time" Dan praised me and ruffled my hair. I almost smiled back at him. I had a hard time admitting that I had a fun past this hour and he cheered me up, made me stop thinking about all the problems, and just focus on the moment.

I finally convinced them I will watching them from the bench which was far more entertaining than being on actual ice with them. I already had my snickers on, skates tossed aside. This was definitely not a sport for me.

While I was watching them skating I couldn't help but feel amazed. Those are my brothers, few weeks ago I wouldn't dream of affording tickets at any ice skating competition now I had before my eyes I watched the private training of professionally skating athletes who happened to be related to me.

My life took a really weird turn.

I was worried to know what will happen if they see the real me completely useless ordinary person, without talent, special skills, I wasn't smart, I hated physical activities there was absolutely nothing special, out of ordinary in me.

I was afraid they will reject me as a sister or even as their house inhabitant. What stopped them from kicking me out? Why did they take me in the first place? Was that a common decision or was it, Andrew, alone to chose for them? Hell, I didn't even know why Andrew took me in.

"Max, Next to this building there's a coffee shop, right?"

"So?" Max raised his eyebrows.

"Yes, would you mind if I went to get a coffee?" I asked quietly, suddenly overwhelmed with emotions. I needed to go somewhere, be alone for a moment.

"No, actually while you're at it you can bring me one"

"Is it okay for you to go on your own? Do you want me to go with you?"

"It's okay, I have money from Jacquline"

"Just take it" he gave me a stack of bills, holy shit this family is ridiculous "and get me a sandwich"
______________
I entered a coffee shop designed in modern-industrial fashion. The brick-clad walls were decorated with pop-art paintings, from the ceiling copper lamps were hanging, furniture was craved from light brown wood, and pallets were reused as tables.

Max wanted black coffee, Dan asked for a sandwich, meanwhile, I was excited to take a coconut latte for myself. To my excitement, it was sprinkled with coconut chips sprinkled on whipped cream.

I was about to dig into the topping with a plastic spoon but my plans were stopped by a woman showing up right in front of me. She was wearing a sugary pink suit clashed with a white designer handbag and rose-tint sunglasses. She looked like a model who just left the runway.

"Hi, I am working for IMG models. I really like your look" she said and handed me her business card, she smiled brightly at me and left.

I looked at the card, quite shocked by the encounter. The card was a contact number for Ruth Barton. She was the modeling agency manager. I've heard that sometimes, in rare cases they scout people out on the streets but something like that could never happen to me of all people.

But before I could ask her any follow-up questions or even thank her for the opportunity she was already gone.

What just happened?
____________
Dear Readers,

Originally, Ellie was ice skating only with Max but someone asked about Ellie and Dan's moment, I'm here to provide. I hope this was enjoyable.

As you see we have another plot point added with Ellie's potential job opportunity. Let me know how do you feel about it :)