Chapter 30

"Yes it is, I better go to sleep then" I laughed nervously and was about to quickly ran towards my room but Andrew stopped me.

"Elisabeth, I'm afraid I will be forced to keep you up for a while. Sit" he pointed at the chair in front of him.

"It's really late can we talk tomorrow?" I asked although I didn't know where my boldness was coming from.

"It's not up to you to decide when we're having this conversation. Sit down I don't like to repeat myself" he said in a stern unyielding voice and I quickly gave up. I'm dead anyway so I  might as well get over with it now.

"I'm waiting for an explanation," Andrew said as soon as I sat down.

"I'm sorry"

Okay, that wasn't an explanation. But that's the first thing I wanted to say to him. His reaction didn't reveal much. He was just staring at me with an unreadable expression.

"What are you sorry for?"

"For going out without asking first?"

"Ah yes, that's right. And care to tell me where did you have to be? It had to be important since you completely disregarded your safety and house rules to go there"

"I went to the party"

"I'm going to need more details than that"

"What exactly do you want to know?" I asked resigned.

"Everything"

"I was invited to go to the party by my friend I suspected you wouldn't allow me to go so I didn't ask" oh I think Andrew didn't appreciate my honesty at least that's what my conclusion was after I saw his eyes darkening after my confession. I don't know why I decided to dig my grave further but I couldn't stop myself from speaking "I just wanted to have fun and I did. I feel like I can't go anywhere alone since I'm here. I miss my freedom since I'm here it seems like I can't do the simplest things alone like going for a walk or to a friend's house"

He will understand, right?

I skipped the part where I wanted to spend more time alone with Nick because I sensed it was not a good idea to bring him up in this conversation at all.

"And where did you get the money from to take a bus and buy drinks?" Andrew asked completely ignoring my honest, valid argument that during my stay here my freedom was taken away.

"How do you know I was buying drinks?"

"Answer me"

"From Jacquline. Several weeks ago she gave me cash because I told her I want to go to the bookstore"

"I don't recall you visiting the bookstore this month"

"How would you know if I did and that's the problem. I want more freedom"

"I'm your parent it's my job to know where are you at all times"

"Well you weren't doing a good job when I was living with my mom"

God, this man was suffocating.

"I'm sorry Elisabeth. That's true. I was not doing a job at all because I never thought of you as my child, not until you came to live with me. You can hold against me my indifference to you in the past but I won't let you use that as a shield for your unacceptable behavior. You know the rules of this house since you arrived here you can't just leave the house without telling anyone this is non-negotiable. I gave you far too much than I felt comfortable with because and with that freedom you had, you made a decision, a bad one. I'm disappointed"