Chapter 40

"First of all," Charles said leading me to the sofa, "Dad, of course, told me about your little escapade in the middle of the night haven't I tell you to not put yourself in danger? Should I kidnap you again or something?"

"I'm sorry you want to do what again?" Julien asked with confusion.

Everyone ignored him.

"Oh so someone could contact you. It just wasn't your bothers" Max said unhappily that his older brother didn't try to give him a single call for the past few months.

"Aww did you missed me, little bro?"

"As if" Max snorted. "Don't you have another mysterious job to do? Just disappear again like you always do"

"Weren't you the one who asked where is Charles and when he comes back?" Dan teased his brother playfully.

"Shut up, Dan"

"You're warming my heart, Maxie. Wanna another hug?"

"Get away from me or I'm calling CPS"

"Go ahead I have a lawyer" Charles pointed at Andrew.

"Son, I'm a prosecutor. The best I can do is bring you to justice" Andrew said drily clearly giving him a sign that he's taking Max's side.

It was amusing to see them all together teasing each other.

As I watched them I came back with my thoughts to the moment when I first entered this house. For weeks it was empty. Quiet. And I was alone.

What I saw today was the opposite of empty. Andrew was with us in the same room actually talking to us, Julien was here, Charles was back, Max and Dan were more noisy than usual. I could feel warmness spreading all over my chest. It's hard to believe that a few months ago I didn't know these people and now I couldn't imagine living without them.

"By the way, little sis" Charles said as he looked at me and grinned widely "Wonderful look. The hair? I love that color" Charles came back to taunting me.

"Thank you? Finally, someone appreciates" I said, uncertain if I should be truly happy about it.

"I don't like that smile" Max muttered with resignation referring to Charles's expression.

"I've been trying to convince dad for some time that we should be going camping when I'm back.  You know it would be my pleasure to make sure you go through some sort of survival training kiddos. I can't lie your stunt with hair dye is what ultimately convinced him" Charles winked at me as I looked at him with shock painted on my face. Excuse me what?

Max and Dan groaned loudly. Their attitude alarmed me even more.

"But you guys like all kinds of sports right?" I asked confused.

"Yes guys" Charles smirked "Don't  you?"

"Yeah we do that should tell you something, Charles is a crazy fucking person"

"Mind your language" Andrew warned.

"He's going to torture us"

"I'm going to teach you discipline and endurance, brats"

"That's why we believe only Ellie should go with you"

"Exactly put all your efforts where it's needed"

"Traitors?" I whispered horrified.  Throwing me under the bus like that? I will remember that. The pillow I threw in Max's direction was easily dodged. Unfortunately, he threw it back and it hit me straight into the face.

"You my little angels will set a good example for your little sister"

"Again not little-" I was interrupted.

"Did he just called us a little angels?"

"I think he did"

"I will shit on your pillow if you ever do that again," Dan said in a completely serious voice and I didn't doubt him for a minute.

Damn my brothers are wild.

And we're literally going on a trip to the wilderness.

"Tomorrow at 5 a.m. I want you ready and awake. Go upstairs and start packing" Charles ordered and suddenly I felt like a rookie soldier who just received an order.

"Wait, we're going TOMORROW?!" Dan asked shocked.

"At what hour?" I asked weakly. Who wakes up so early?

"Yep. Only for the weekend. You get to spend 2 full days with your favorite brother"

"You meant the least favorite" Dan said.

"Charles, you're no one's, favorite brother"

"Lies, all lies. But fine. I will settle for my favorite child title. Right, father?"

"Absolutely not. It's late, so go to sleep after you're done with packing" Andrew ordered "Ellie, Julien told me you should be fine but if you feel like you're pushed past your limit you will inform Charles immediately, got it?"

"Yes, I understand" I agreed quietly, resigned.

"I'm not going anywhere" Max protested.

"Me neither" Dan added.

I could see the twins had reached eye contact for a split second and then they started running towards the stairs. 

"Pack your stuff or you will both end up in the car in your pajamas!!"

🔆🔆🔆

As promised early in the morning we ended up in Charles's red car.

"So how was your work?" Dan asked in a sleepy voice to hold the conversation.

"Great"

"Woah don't bombard us with all the details," Max said sarcastically.

"As always he won't tell us shit" Dan commented shaking his head.

"So how about singing along to songs? That's what children do when they're going on a trip right?" Charles asked with a cheerful voice changing the topic without addressing the accusations.

"No" twins yelled in disgust "just because you're mentally 8 years old it doesn't mean we're like that as well"

"So rude. Hey, Ellie, how are you doing? You have a really sour look on that adorable face of yours"

"I hate mud, bugs, sleeping on the ground, eating canned food. Guess how do I feel about being dragged to the forest?"

"In other words, you hate everything about camping? We are definitely going to have fun"

🔆🔆🔆

Hi guys!

Someone added my story to the "don't read" reading list and it made it difficult for me to finish this chapter. I hate when things like that affect me negatively but what can I say? I have low confidence levels.

Anyway, thank you for your votes and all the support you've given me so far. ❤️