Chapter 4

Morning had come and Lacey hadn't slept worth anything. The whole night she kept tossing and turning but couldn't fall asleep. She slowly let herself drop to the floor, landing on her feet. The hardwood was freezing cold but she was used to it by now.

Walking to the dining room, she saw Ms. James setting a plate filled with food on the round table.

"Good morning dear. Did you sleep well?" The little girl nodded her head, brushing away the hair that got in her face.

"After you're done eating we have to go back to my office. You're going home with your daddy today. Isn't that exciting?" Lacey's head shook back and forth. Crystal frowned. Why didn't this girl want to be with her family?

At the office Jax and Tara were sitting in the waiting room with Abel and Thomas in their laps.

"How do you think Lacey feels about this Jax? I mean, it's going to be weird for her to just fit right in everyone's lives." Jax stared at Thomas's sleeping face as he listened to his wife go on talking. But this little girl was his daughter, what didn't she understand about that?

The door opened and they both stood to greet Ms. James. Lacey was trailing right behind her and glancing around like someone was watching her. Jax smiled and knelt down next to her.

"Did you sleep well, Lacey?" Her hair shifted as she nodded her head and walked by him to follow Ms. James. He frowned and pushed up off his knee to follow them. Thomas stirred in his arms and let out a loud squeal. Lacey jumped and stared at the creature wiggling in her fathers arms. Then she realized this was one of her brothers. At the same time, a little hand clasped onto her arm and she wrenched her arm from the strangers grasp.

Abel sniffled as tears rushed down his face. He hadn't known, he was just a toddler. Lacey bowed her head down, not wanting to see the tears any longer. She felt terrible for doing that to her new-found brother. So she listened as heavy footsteps walked to crouch in front of her, soothing the screeching child.