Chapter 8

At the school, Lacey was sitting at the table with other kids when someone stood behind her and smacked her head. She turned and saw a boy a little older than her with a glare on his face.

"Give me that paper." He demanded. Lacey began to protest but he shoved her out of the seat.

Later at lunch Lacey grabbed her tray off the counter and went to find Abel. Before she could take a step forward someone shoved into her from behind, causing her to trip and fall on her tray. Immediately the lunchroom was silent, then filled with laughter. At Lacey. Tears welled in her eyes before she ran out of the room and into the nearest girls' bathroom.

The end of the day couldn't have come any slower. Lacey had been found by a teacher and given spare clothes to change into. Now she was standing outside by the playground watching Abel play with his few friends. Then she saw the same boy who'd pushed her out of her seat that morning. He walked up to Abel and started yelling. Lacey could see the tears filling Abel's eyes. Quickly she ran to his side and shoved the bully to the ground without mercy.

A teacher had seen Lacey push the boy and immediately ran over and grabbed Lacey by the shoulder. Just then Gemma and Nero had arrived. Gemma was not happy to see her granddaughter being manhandled. So she ran over and started screaming profanities at the para while Nero ushered Lacey and Abel to the SUV.