Chapter 12

Melanie's House

Lacey sat at the worn down wooden kitchen table. Her feet swung happily as she ate her ice cream. Her mother walked in minutes after talking to Jax. As soon as she sat down, her boyfriend walked through the kitchen door.

"Did you- how did she get here?" His eyes turned to slits as he stared at Melanie. "Melanie, how did Lacey get here?" She was starting to irritate him by not replying.

"I picked her up from school. Do you want steak for dinner? I just went shopping." Rick was apalled by her behavior. Immediately, he knew he had to contact Lacey's father.

6:30 a.m. (Next day)

"But she's lost her mind! She kidnapped her daugher who was taken BY the state right from her school. She even called the childs father and told him she has her. Right now? Asleep. Yes, yes. Alright, thank- aughh!" Blood poured from Rick's mouth before he could finish.

"How dare you! I thought you wanted us to be a family! Then you try getting rid of Lacey! Now you'll die for coming in between us." With that, she stabbed him repeatedly in the upper back. Finally, he was dead.

But the woman on the other line had heard everything. She immediately signaled for help. Since she was in the middle of a police department, plenty of people saw her distress. Soon enough, officers were on their way.