Chapter 4- I Want to Quit

Josef and Tannin eventually made it back to us with that darn little lizard in his hands. I smiled at them, trying to keep our spirits up. Tannin really had not spoken much since we all woke up. This was only strange because he was usually quite a talker. He was an avid researcher and well read for being only nine. He generally would just jump right into other people's conversations stating every fact about the subject in discussion. He even got into trouble during our pre-mission lessons because he relentlessly talked all the time about the subject, even when the teacher wanted to move on. I will need to spend some time with him later, make sure he was doing all right. Maybe I could talk with mom about my concerns for Tannin. She is a great doctor. She would know what to do.

Josef and Tannin joined in our mad dash to grab everything we could carry and take it all to be loaded onto the ships. It will take several months to get home and unsupplied the ships might make it just fine, but we wouldn't.

*****

Sergei quickly made it to the ships holding area, much like a port. The Dauntless and Intrepid were waiting for launch. Fuel tubes and electric wiring were connecting them to the station. Ivan was just climbing down from the scaffolding near the ships hatch when he saw Sergei run in.

"Sergei, I told you we had this under control," Ivan snapped loudly.

Taken aback by Ivan‟s tone, Sergei replied, "I am sure you do Ivan, but there is nothing more important than getting off this planet right now my friend. We leave in two hours. Two hours."

Ivan stared menacingly at Sergei "I am sure you want to believe that Sergei, but I am taking the rover to the mines to get more crystals to bring back with us to Earth, they are too valuable to leave here on Mars and I will return to the ships as quickly as I can. By the way, Sergei, in my hand is the ignition sequencer for the Dauntless, so it will not leave until I am ready to leave."

Sergei responded, "Ivan listen to what you are saying, people's lives are at stake here. We have to think about all of us, I am the mission commander and you are under orders to follow my lead. You will not be going back to the mines. Am I clear, or are you threatening insubordination?"

Ivan raised his arms and yelled at Sergei, "No Sergei I am not threatening you, I am telling you. For my families benefit, I am taking more crystals home, and I am also taking charge of this mission!"

Sergei looked at his face, right into his eyes. Ivan was losing it, and quite possibly, he had already lost it.

In the split second following Ivan's sentence, with his precise military-lightening speed, he drew one pistol from in the belt under his shirt and shot Sergei twice in the chest. Sergei couldn't believe what just happened. It was all so fast. The shots caused immediate mortal wounds, Sergei life passed from him before he could even turn to see his wife and children one last time as they entered the room. All he could do was think a brief prayer that his family would stay safe, and then the end came and with it a warm welcoming white light that followed.

*****

The team members and family who were hurrying toward the ships, their arms loaded with all they could carry, came through the door to the hanger just as Ivan's gun fired and Sergei's body was falling lifelessly to the floor.

The sound of the gunshots caused them all to stop in their tracks. Even Ivan's boys who were sitting in the rafters and stopped working during the argument below were now staring blankly at their dad standing over Sergei‟s motionless body.

They knew Ivan was a killer for the military. To see it firsthand had to be a shock to them, even more shocking was to see him shoot someone in cold blood they had lived with for so long. Ivan‟s actions immediately had an impact on both of them.