The Catalyst

Following three months of working on isolating the properties of the newly discovered element, Dr. Leon Sikorsky, the teams science officer, was now at last able to gasify the liquid to test his theory. He was theorizing based on the known chemical reaction with their vegetables that this element may have some useful carbon atom stabilizing properties. Leon was relentless in his research.

"Sergei", Leon called over the colony‟s intercom system.

"Yes Leon, I hope this is important. We are finishing preparations for another excursion out to the mines, what do you need?" replied Sergei as he finished loading supplies onto the rover.

"Before you leave, please come to my laboratory, I have some exciting news to share with you." Leon answered him, hardly able to contain his enthusiasm.

"This is poor timing Leon, we have a schedule to stick by today, I will head to the lab but I don‟t have much time." Sergei said as he halted his preparations and headed for a brief meeting with the team‟s scientist.

The walk towards the small laboratory took Sergei passed the outpost‟s common area. Sergei knew the rest of his exploration team was in there getting some last minute breakfast before their long journey out to the mines. It was always an early start to the small Petorium mine they had been working on. Sergei and the other crew members wanted some answers quickly from Leon about this new element. It may be useful if it is safe and make this mission a great success. With no contact to mission command over the last year and only the supplies they

brought in their two crew rockets and two supply rockets, safety was always more important than speed, even with the discovery of a new element.

As Sergei entered the largest room of the outpost he addressed his second in command, "Ivan, once you are all finished in here, go to the rover without me. I have been summoned to the lab by our mad scientist to see his newest discovery." Sergei chuckled lightheartedly following his joke about Leon‟s overly focused commitment to his research.

Ivan communicated the same way as he did on most things, short, concise and with military precision. He replied with an agitated tone "Do not be too long Sergei, you know as well as I do he would have nothing to research if it weren't for all of our hard work collecting samples for him."

Sergei nodded his head in agreement to pacify Ivan as he walked over to the other side of the room and into the kitchen area.

Entering the kitchen area, Sergei spotted his wife, Viktoria, preparing food for the team and he snuck up behind her. Sergei embraced her and spun her around so he could complete his pre-excursion ritual of kissing his wife. Viktoria let out a tiny squeal as her husband caught her off-guard. Sergei and Viktoria were one of four couples who embarked on the multi-decade long mission to measure the sustainability of colonizing new and uncharted territory to support the ever-growing human population. Just like yesterday and the day before, their kiss was soft and meaningful. Neither wanted the kiss to end, but knowing tomorrow they would begin their day the exact same way, they parted from their short embrace and spoke of today‟s plans.

Viktoria said, "Sergei, I thought you would still be prepping for today‟s excursion? I‟m preparing some breakfast for the boys to eat after they exercise. Do you want me to add a little for you?"

Sergei answered "I had extra coffee today love, no time to eat. I have to head to the lab to see what has Leon is so energized. I‟ll hurry back and grab breakfast on my way to the garage. Leon seems quite impatient to share a breakthrough with me, see you soon. I love you!" his voice trailing off as he walked toward the small doors leading him down the path to Leon and the laboratory.