Chapter 1-Time to Evaluate

On the outside, everything appeared normal. The buildings shiny metallic surfaces reflected the bright light of the far off sun. The shimmering reflections of the compound appeared as an oasis surrounded by miles and miles of desolate terrain. The air was still, no signs of life, all quite normal considering the remote location of the outpost. On the inside of the colony, it was just as quiet as the outside. This is where things had gone wrong, horribly wrong.

There was a thick cloud of stagnant dust hanging heavy in the air throughout facility. The lights inside were all out. On every surface fine particles of sand covered and smoothed the sharp industrial edges of the building‟s interior. Not a sound traveled inside, complete and utter quiet resonated. If not for all bodies lying on the ground covered in sand, it would have appeared welcoming, tranquil and serene.

Then the eerie silence was finally broken. By me of course, "Hey...Hello...what in the...is anyone else in here?" These were my first words as I woke up and realized no one was near me. I paused, shook my head and got my bearings on where I was. Completing a quick self-diagnosis, I seemed to be all in one piece, other than a bit thirsty and a headache I felt fine. The mental fog was slow to lift from my brain. .As I gained focus, I quickly realized I really, really need to find out where everyone else is, especially my little brother, my parents and eventually, at some point, my annoying older brother too ...maybe he could wait?

"Mom...Dad...Tannin!" Now I‟m frantically yelling. Most of the window shutters have closed and the light are out making it hard to see. I look out an unblocked window beside me to get a view around our colony and see all of our buildings and the rover look just fine. Our

outpost consisted of several rectangular modules, each connected by a narrow enclosed walkway. The layout of the complex had the resemblance of a giant aluminum octopus. Everything appeared normal but, oh, my goodness is there tons of this red sand everywhere. Where did this sand come from, and why are the light out in here? This gritty stuff is covering me too however, after spitting a bunch out and shaking my hair clean, I decide it‟s time to start moving.

"Mikhailya"

I hear my name shouted in a deep voice. The only other noise breaking the silence was the low hum of the generators operating to keep our station alive. I know I have heard that voice before. It is Brad ...no ...Tad ...no ...Vlad!

Relieved not to be alone, I call back to him, "Vladimir! Over here" I yell with all of the energy I can summon, hoping desperately he can hear me. I stand quickly and a large cloud of dust stirs up all around me. The intense sunlight outside burns through the tinted glass of the unblocked windows, sparkling off of the suspended dust creating a deep red haze throughout the pod we are in. I can barely make out his silhouette shuffling through the haze towards me. He is moving clumsily, brushing himself off and clearly trying to process this disorder as much as me.

"Mikhailya, have you seen anyone else?" he asks with a vacant look in his eyes.

"No, you are the first, let‟s stay together though. I am a little bit scared." I reply. Now we look in each other‟s eyes and then back around the supply building.

"It is dark, too dark. Is the power even operating?" I ask.

Vladimir is a large man, even by Russian standards. I‟m glad he‟s with me. He twists his head and looks back at me.

"We will find out soon." He replies, then pauses and squints his eyes like he‟s thinking of something.

He could be thinking of someone.

"Sonya" he says.

Her name lingers in the stale air with a worried tone.

Then he jumps up, looking to me like a Grizzly Bear coming out of hibernation and finding a stream full of juicy pink salmon to feed on.