Music, Masks & Mysteries

SEAN

The place was great. Large open floors, grand staircase and a bar. We made it to the dinning area, all tables holding 8 people. Our tables were in the center, lots of people from the academy, businesses, charitable donors, and Doctors. Lots and lots of doctors. Medical professions that want bills in thier pockets for new machines, trials, and medicines.

I was going to be exhausted by the end of the night. We all took our seats and started small chat, I leaned into Owen to ask him for help. "Hey, are you willing to brag about your best friend all night?" Giving him my cheesy grin. Always works.

"That depends." His grey pools looking back at me. I don't see why everyone hesitates around him. Like they I don't what to expect if they approach him. He's just the annoying boy that wears glasses and calls every person on the planet by a formality.

I took him to see the babies one time, I even made him hold one. The image was branded into my mind and it made me wonder if that's what he wanted for himself in the future. Maybe not because he referred to the infant as 'Mr.baby'. the kid did smile though which gave Owen his micro grin.

"On?.." I pushed out. I really hope he doesn't leave me hanging, I have to talk to maybe more than half these people here to get enough funding for what the hospital needs. Plus to get my own funding from a special donor. Then convince three doctors into transferring, but one in particular and I don't even know who she or he is.

"Which best friend your talking about?" He teased and I faked a heart attack, putting my hand over it. "I have 7 other best friends, well 12 if you want to count the Toma team."

"What? I've been devoted to you since we met Mr. Blackbourne. Clearly I'm your one and only," I leaned in to whisper in his ear, "I gave you your prostate exam!"

Owen choaked on his champagne, while his girlfriend Alicia patted his back. "Are you okay honey?" Her voice very concerned. I hid my smirk.

"Yes darling, I'm fine." She nodded and continued her conversation with Victor's girlfriend, Ava. They were gossiping about a new bird they heard about.

"Fine. Dr. Green, I'll help with whatever you may need." He said, narrowing his eyes at me. I teased him during his last exam, apparently my Owen boy likes being kinky with his woman. So, most of the guys see other physicians for their physicals. They think it's too weird for their brother to know everything about them, but they promised full access to their charts if I have concerns.

"Oh goodie, and since I don't know who this new person is that I'm supposed to convince, let me know if you find them. A Dr. Song, from Japan. I don't really know much." Plus there's like over 200 people here, I can't really go through them one by one. I wished Phil could be here, but he has more important stuff going on right now.

"Ok. I'll text you if I met them. Alicia wants to start by talking with some of the female donors that are high in the charitable cause for transgender teens. I don't know all the details." We watched as more people came in, masks and all, talking about and shaking hands.

But the topic reminded me of a dog wanting to be a bird. Meet her camp one year, Axel sent her to me, wondering if I can help in anyway. Lake. It was an unusual name but she was nice and was accepted into the academy.

It was about another 30 minutes later when they started the speeches. Just the normal charities, new foundations and medical talk. When the time came to mingle about, music came on in the next room where the ball was held, this area was more for wine and dine. Another area was for checks and information on the hospital in Phoenix.