26. the gear shift

-

◜                                                  ◝26

◜ ◝
26. the gear shift
◟ ◞

˖⁺ 🕷⋆ ୭ ⛓ .⋆。⋆༶⋆˙⊹

"You've seriously never driven a car before?" Corpse asks the next day over breakfast. He had gotten up before Lorelai to make her a nice breakfast, which really wasn't too hard considering she had slept in until two in the afternoon.

Lorelai shakes her head 'no'. She swallows her bite of food before answering, "never had the need or the opportunity to."

Corpse furrows his eyebrows. "Well, do you want me to teach you?"

"Really?" Lorelai asks.

"Yeah," he nods. "I could take us out to a suburb with some straight shots and teach you how to drive."

Lorelai thinks over the offer. "I don't wanna crash your car or anything."

Corpse laughs lightly. "Rory, you're not gonna crash my car. Trust me."

"Okay, well, now you've jinxed us," Lorelai complains.

Corpse just rolls his eyes and shrugs. "Well, if you want to learn, my offer is on the table."

After a minute, Lorelai nods. "Okay, sure. Teach me how to drive, big guy."

Corpse keeps his word, and at eight that evening, he takes Lorelai out in his jeep to the suburbs of San Diego. With the windows rolled down and their shared playlist blasting, they definitely scared off some of the tired workers returning to the suburbs after a long day of work. This didn't sway them from having fun and joking with one another on the drive to the straight shot, however.

When they arrived, Corpse and Lorelai switched seats. He started her slowly, teaching her how to place her feet, where to put her hands, and all that basic shit. Once she understood the placements of everything, he let himself lean back into his seat and relax.

"Okay, so take us out of park," he commands.

"What?" Lorelai asks, turning to look at him confusedly.

Corpse reaches for her hand on the wheel and grasps it in his. He leads it down to the gear shift and places it on it. "So, right now we're in park, but we wanna be in drive." Carefully, he helps her change the gear into drive. "This is called the gear shift, by the way. It's very important."