Chapter 10

~Rebel's POV~

"Oh my god. Peter." Shane whispered. He strode over to Peter and embraced him. It wasn't one of those bro-hugs that he usually gives, it was a genuine, family hug. The sight made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

It made me think about my family. What was left of it anyways. Porter and Gunner obviously had something against me and Piper seemed to be avoiding me. I don't know why, though. We had always been close considering we were sisters.

We always knew what was wrong with the other one and we always knew how to cheer up each other when we were down. Now? It seemed like I had never known her.

I understood that. The world changes and you change with it. Especially with this world. It was full of horror and gore. That kind of thing usually brought out the worst in people, but in rare occasions, if you had the skill to stay alive, it might bring out the best.

I would say I was one of those people. I had never had many friends other than Yasmine. Sure, I was in love with someone and I told him everything, but Saxon didn't understand me like Yasmine or Piper did. We couldn't just sit down and paint our nails pink and have girly conversations about the newest edition of VOUGE magazine or the newest TV episode of Pretty Little Liars.

What Saxon and I did, it was love. I hadn't given myself to him. I wanted to wait until marriage until I gave my virginity up, or until I was certain I met the right person. It wasn't like Saxon wasn't the right person. I just wasn't certain.

Love was never certain. I may be young, but I knew that much.

Shane held Peter at arms length, keeping his hands on Peter's shoulders. I could see the family resemblance between them. They both had deep brown eyes and strong cheekbones with a slightly square face.

"You look good. How'd you live this long?" Shane asked him. He looked worried, like he actually cared for the boy.

"Ma made me take some shooting classes and taught me how to use a knife. It was hard, but I did it. I made it Uncle Shane. Looks like you did pretty good to. How's the group life?" Peter asked with a small chuckle.

The way they were conversing was alien. It was like they were chatting about the weather or the latest comic in the Sunday newspaper. I guess it was the only thing they did talk about back then. It's not like they used to talk about the best and most convenient way to kill a walker. 

"It's good. It's good. Did your Ma..." he trailed off, not needing to say the question,

Peter shook his head solemnly, his eyes glazing over. "Naw. She..she um.. got bit and shot herself. It was for the better though." He swallowed and bent his head to stare at his feet. The way his warm, brown eyes looked made me melt. I felt so much sympathy for him. Losing someone was common nowadays.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Piper inching her way towards Peter. Of course. I scoffed internally and rolled my eyes, scooting back towards Lori and Dale. Might as well give her some room for the show she was bound to mess up.

"So. Peter. I'm thinking we could share a tent. Ya' know, since no one else has room." Piper purred while running her hand up and down his bare arm that was caked with dirt. 

"I don't know. Maybe I should sleep out here. Wouldn't be any trouble to me." Peter was hesitating, but from the look in his eyes, he wanted to take her offer. Badly.

"Oh, it's no trouble to me at all. Lots of people share tents. Rebel and Daryl share a tent, right?" She looked at me expectingly.

Really? After ignoring me ever since you got here, you want my help with sleeping with a guy? I always knew that Piper was a slut, but I didn't think she would go this far.