Chapter 21

~Rebel's POV~

"You mean...cut it off?" Rick asked me incredulously.

"Yeah." 

Hershel had lost all the blood in his face and he was leaning against the RV, trying to support himself. Maggie and Beth had stopped crying, but the occasional whimper was heard from their direction.

Daryl looked at me and tugged my arm, pulling me off to the side of the house.

"What do ye' think yer doin'?" You could see he was doing his best not to yell at me.

"Trying to save a life. What are you doing?" I spat at him.

"Tryin' to save the camp." he snapped.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, deciding whether or not I should tell him. I glanced up at him and he was staring at me, trying to figure something out.

"What are ye' keepin' from me?" he asked gravely.

I opened my mouth, but the words refused to come out. Telling him could only hurt me, but benefit the camp. I huffed a short breath and continued to stare at the ground.

"Rebel." he warned me, you could see his anger was reaching a peak.

"Rebel, I suggest ye' either tell me, or the group." 

"Fine." I muttered walking back to the RV and climbing back on top of it.

I stood on the roof, slowly drawing everyone's attention back towards me. By now, we had attracted the attention of Clyde, Peter and Frankie.

Peter still looked dazed and it made me want to cry that I know who caused his state.

"The reason we can't straight out kill Hershel is because the virus is in all of us." I blurted out, not really controlling my words.

The crowd stared at me blankly as what I said sunk in through their thick skulls, Carl turned to Lori and whispered something in her ear and she shrugged.

"What it means, is if we kill Hershel, he is going to turn into a walker, regardless of whether he is bit or not." I told him, knowing what his question would have been.

The women gasped and Daryl's face hardened. I stared at my feet and started to shuffle them around a bit.

"How long did you know this?" Rick asked me.

"Before I met you, I had to kill several people and a few days after that, they came after me." I shrugged my shoulders and sat back in the camper chair.

Hershel caught my eye and mouthed a 'thank you' I acknowledged him with a nod and continued to rub my head, trying to figure out what I was going to do.

Shane's face was getting redder and Carol and Lori were crying holding on to Sophia. Carl had migrated towards his dad, standing behind him in case he had to attack something.

"Why didn't you tell us this?" Rick asked me tartly.

"I assumed you knew, but after today, I guess not." I mumbled.

"Rebel, can I see you privately." he asked me quietly, motioning for Daryl and Shane to follow him.

I nodded and climbed down off the RV and following him back towards the side of the house where Daryl and I had argued earlier. 

Rick sighed and ran his fingers through his hair and glancing back at Daryl. Something in his eyes made me uneasy and my stomach started to churn.

"I would like you to leave the group." Rick said, it was more of a command than a suggestion.