Chapter 24

For those of you who don't know, Merle is Daryl's brother, but Rebel doesn't know that.

Warning....I'm gonna skip around season three of TWD just a bit so it will fit my storyline.

_________________________________________________

~Rebel's POV~

That morning I had woken up feeling rejuvenated. It had been months since I had slept in a proper bed and just the thought of it made me want to crawl into and never come back. All good things come to an end and I was currently standing in front of the Governor's door.

I wanted to leave and he said he wouldn't stop me, I just needed my weapons back. I knew he knew where they were and as soon as they were in my possession, I was gone.

I knocked on the door, waiting for it to open, but no one came. I knocked again and this time the door creaked open.

It had been open the whole time, but I didn't feel the need to intrude, but now that the door was open, I felt the need to at least have a look. 

I stepped through the door, the odor of dead bodies hitting me. I closed the door behind me quietly and covered my nose with the sleeve of the new shirt I had been given.

"Hello?" I called out, hoping someone would be here to explain the smell.

I looked around the main room, not finding anything that could possibly explain the smell. I wandered over to a wooden door, trying to open it.

I would have gone further had it not been locked, but I could tell the smell was coming from behind the door and I knew that the Governor was hiding something. 

I ignored the smell and turned to search for my weapons. I looked through drawers, under the bed, in the en suite bathroom, in the file cabinet and everywhere else big enough to hide a bow and sheath of arrows.

I gave up and decided to take the offer of a hot breakfast down in the place I had first arrived in. I erased the traces of my visit and left the door as I had found it.

Walking through the streets, you never would've guessed that the outbreak had hit. People didn't seemed worried about life outside of the fences and everything was normal.

It disgusted me.

Soon enough, this town would fall. It happened every time someone established something like this. It may last for a few days, it may last for a few years, but eventually you have to face the outside world.

People passed by me, giving me friendly smiles and saying greetings. I always tried to return the favor, but something about it sickened me. I looked at the people and I wondered how they would handle a walker.

Of course here, they called them biters. It was understandable why they did this, they haven't seen how they tear people apart or how they rip them limb by limb, refusing to share with their peers.

They didn't just bite you.

It was like they wanted you to suffer. They wanted you to feel the pain of dying. It wasn't a gift surviving at all, because if you survived long enough, dying was even more bitter than it had to be.

These thoughts ran through my mind as I entered the door that lead to the place where I would eat the offered breakfast. Cinnamon and strawberries mingled in the air and I wondered how they kept all the fruit fresh enough to eat.

"Good morning, Rebel. How did you sleep?" The Governor asked.

"Fine." I muttered, taking a seat and cutting the crêpe that lay flat on the porcelain plate.