Chapter 22

~Rebel's POV~

"Porter."

It was him. He was back to kill me.

My heart raced and I felt the beads of sweat forming on the back of my neck and my palms were getting heated.

Standing directly behind Porter was Gunner. He was holding one of those things you use to control rabid dogs that goes around the dog's neck. Inside of the loop was a walker.

It was gasping out of hunger and reaching out towards him, trying to reach and satisfy it's hunger. The flesh that had once covered it's face was now shredded and hanging off of the thing's chin where it dangled and wobbled back and forth.

"What are you doing here?" Rick asked Porter, trying to sound menacing.

Porter inspected his nails and rubbed them on his shirt, "It's a free country." he responded cooly.

"Not anymore." Rick spat.

Porter sighed, "I guess you're right, aren't you?" he asked him rhetorically.

"So if it's not a free country, then I can do this."

Before we could react, Porter had grabbed me and tugged me over to stand by him. I let out a cry of pain and tried to break free, but it was no use. Gunner had given the walker slack and I was almost within its reach. It's groans of hunger were resounding in my ear and it's sticky breath blew across my neck.

"Let 'er go!" Daryl yelled at him, his face turning a boiling red.

Porter smiled at the combat group and reached his hand up slowly, wrapping around my neck tightly. My vision was blurring and I knew Porter would stop soon.

He wanted me to suffer. He wanted to warn the pain that he inflicted on me. He didn't care that I was his sister, as far as he knew, I was a traitor.

"Please," Rick begged, "It doesn't have to be this way."

Porter laughed, but it contained no humor. "Of course it has to be this way. This is all Rebel's fault."

Confusion took over the combat group's faces and they all looked at me, some with confusion, some with malice.

I tried to pry Porter's hands off my neck and he let me. He released his grip and I fell to the ground gasping for air. Black and red spots blurred my vision as I struggled to stay conscious.

I took my opportunity and started to crawl back to the combat group, foolishly thinking I could make it without Porter or Gunner noticing.

Pain spread throughout my ribs and it took a moment to register the fact that Porter had kicked me.

"Not so fast, dear sister." Porter said, trying to get to me.

But, Daryl was faster. He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me behind him while he raised his crossbow. Porter had a smirk on his face and he was looking between Daryl and I.

"So I was right. Little sis' is slumming it with the Redneck. I know someone who wouldn't be happy about this."

Porter's words made me tense. Only one person would ever be unhappy about it.

"And it just so happens, that person is right here. Right now." Porter signaled to Gunner and he went into a different room, taking the walker with him.

Daryl looked over his shoulder at me "Ye' okay? Ye' look pretty out of it."

I shook my head and continued to stare at the doorway Gunner has disappeared into. For what seemed like forever, we stood in the shabby living room while tension ran thick through the air.