Chapter 28

• Dedicated to My brothers, they're the best.

~Rebel's POV~

"Gon' wake up anytime soon, sweetheart?" 

Hearing Daryl call me sweetheart made me shiver. I rolled over in the single bed to face Daryl who was pulling his poncho over his head, being careful to avoid his pre-loaded crossbow.

"Sweetheart?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Wha'? Isn't that what most guys call their girlfriends?" he muttered, furrowing his eyebrows and scrunching his nose.

I chuckled and got out of the bed, still wearing Daryl's angel wing vest. I shoved my boots on and picked up my bow and sheath of arrows, avoiding conversation.

You could say I wasn't exactly a morning person.

I shuffled my way down the stairs and towards Rick. We all knew the Governor was planning to attack soon, so we needed to be ready.

Daryl had been following behind me and as soon as I had stopped walking, he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into his side.

It still felt weird to have our 'relationship' in the public. The group still stared and made the occasional comment which just made everything awkward and uncalled for.

Daryl, however, seemed happy about showing affection in front of everyone. I'm guessing it gave him a sense of male pride, or something ridiculous like that.

"Rebel, glad you decided to wake up and join us." Rick commented, sending me a pointed look.

I blushed slightly and turned into Daryl's side, burrowing my face in his neck. His arm tightened around me and made me feel safe.

I heard the slight clicking of Hershel's crutches outside the cell block and he tapped one on the bars, telling Carl to open them.

"Rebel, it's time." he told me.

My chest tightened and I pushed Daryl's arm off me. Rick and Daryl looked at me, confusion crossed their features, not knowing what Hershel meant. They didn't know, but I did. 

Saxon had woken up. 

We had come to the agreement that when Saxon woke up, he would either leave or stay. It was his choice. I was so sure that he was going to leave that the possibility that he would stay had slipped my mind.

I followed Hershel out into the cell block and to the table where Saxon was sitting and eating a bowl of broth that Beth had brought him.

As soon as he saw us approaching, he put the bowl down and crossed his arms. It didn't exactly work because of the large bandage on his arm, but at least he tried.

"The hell is this whore doing here?" he sneered, directing his comment towards me.

"Don't talk to her like tha'!" Daryl growled, trying to hold me.

I avoided his arms and moved to stand in front of Saxon who was glaring at me heavily. I crossed my arms and bobbed my knee up and down, debating on how to ask the question.

I sighed, "Either leave or stay. Your choice, make it now." 

Saxon looked surprised by my blunt words and you could see confliction scar his face. He surveyed the prison and each member of the group, taking his sweet time as he came to Beth.

I snapped my fingers in his face as his stare lingered on her and his eyes snapped back to mine.

"Leave or stay." I said.

"I'm leaving." he said at last.

Somewhere inside of me, relief flooded. But in the other part, heartbreak almost consumed my logical half.