39. The Inevitable Truth

ALEX

Standing right in front of me is the little girl I thought would save me from the woods. One day, I've heard the wolves gossip about a 'Lantern girl' who gives away wishes to ones she likes. She would appear before them, ask them to promise that they'd use the wish for good things, and then grant a wish that they can use anytime in their life. But little did I know that the wolves were just messing around. They weren't as old as the Alpha and his mate. They were just talking about fairytales they picked from someplace in Argentina. How would a locked-up child know the difference between tales and reality?

They were talking about a ritual where you have to cut yourself, let your blood soak the earth, wish for immense happiness and peace – then she would appear before you. I sneaked out of the cabin at night and cut myself using a rock that I found next to a pine tree. I was bleeding profusely, it hurt like hell and yet, I was not ready to give up.

I let my blood flow and closed my eyes to pray to the 'Lantern girl'. My only thought was to ask the girl to take me back to my parents. Let me free. However, the thought of my parents brought all the sad feelings back to my heart. I didn't know who they were, the wolves wouldn't tell me, I'm stuck in a place that I don't want to be in and I felt so unloved. I wanted someone to embrace me, make me feel important.

I wished I could be with my Mom.

The Alpha's mate was sweet enough but she was not my mom. She can never be.

But my turmoiling thoughts were so strong that they attracted the wrong 'Lantern girl'. Or in my case, the 'Girl of Death'.

She appeared just like I had imagined her – White dress, the ears of that cute rabbit that ran by my cabin the other day, black locks like the raven that was on my window sill, and they flow like the waterfall I saw when I was wandering around.

She sighed in disappointment, "You make me look like barbie!"

"Who?" My voice cracked but I was amazed to find another life around the place.

"Barbie. That doll...wait, forget it. Why did you call me?"

"To make a wish"

The girl just stared at me like I were a fool.

"I'm not Genie" She narrowed her eyes at me and rubbed her forehead impatiently, "Now tell me why you want to die"

"Die?" I was shocked. Death never crossed my mind but the girl made it sound so sure. I shook my head fervently and said, "I don't want to die"

"I won't be here if you didn't want to die. You tell me why you want to die, I'll suck out that sorrow from your heart and mind. You'll forget you want to die and I'll leave after erasing your memories of me. Let us get started, shall we?"

"But..." I frowned and looked at my gentle hands, "Will you not feel my pain if you suck it out of me?"

She just stood there, "What did you say?"

"I said..."

"No, don't repeat that"

"I want my parents. I don't want to be locked up in a cabin. Can you take them to me?"

"No" She said without thinking.

My face fell in disappointment. Tears streaked down my face.

"But I can show them to you, little boy"

She asked me to close my eyes and I obliged. I felt her presence in my mind, like crawling creepers slowly latching onto something in my head. That's when I first saw them. They were surrounded by a lot of greens that didn't look gloomy like the place I was in. There was radiant sunlight that bounced off their heads. They weren't alone. Another kid was playing with them, laughing at something they said and my parents were so happy....without me.