3. Game in the Game

My whole system went numb when I heard my name. I felt the hot rush of heat spread through my body. But it has nothing to do with the fact that a handsome man had me in his arms. I did not forget that he is a vampire. 

I pushed him away and said, "What are you talking about? I'm Rachel"

That's the sanest reply I could spill out. He didn't seem fazed or surprised. Even though I couldn't see his face, I can read his body language. He seemed very confident. He knew who I was and there is nothing I can do to change it. The cat is out of the bag and I silently tried to reach for the mobile in my pocket. I just have to press a button on the number pad and my friends will do something. As if trying to adjust my dress, I attempted to get my hands on the small rectangular savior.

"I'm impressed, Skylar...You are a brave woman"

"I am not Skylar" I continued to say in vain. 

I didn't know why I was bothering to do it anyway.

"Yes, Yes" He chuckled, "Rachel, is it? Ok then, Rachel. You are a brave woman, Rachel"

Every time he said 'Rachel', it seemed like a taunt to my face. He was playing with me. I finally found the button and pressed with my long nail. I cannot attack him. I was bad at PE and my teacher worried I'd break a bone or permanently dismantle some part of my body. Then again, I didn't want to give up so I fell flat on my face everyday. If I run and fall, there is no going back. He will kill me. I hoped that the call connected. The thick and black fabric of my dress shielded the light from the mobile. We put the display brightness on the lowest setting intentionally. I let go of the dress and threw my hands up in the air.

"What's so brave about picking up a package? Unless... There is something else going on" I said, pushing my chest forwarding, lifting my head high in an attempt to appear unaffected. 

"I heard you were kicked out of theater classes?" He started pacing, "Why bother to 'act' now?"

How did he know? How the hell did he know?

I cannot act. I tried, but that ended in a disaster. I was supposed to act like a desperate woman trying to find food for her child, but that came out like a psychopath screaming for help. The subtle difference between the two situations is what I failed to understand. How did this guy know about that? 

"If you know so much already" I removed my imaginary mask, " May I ask why are you being so brutal to people?"

"Brutal is a subjective term here"

"How?"

He did not answer. Instead, he shifted the focus to another point. He lifted the purse from the bed and unclipped it. My heart stopped for a second. Though I hid the ampule below all the makeup accessories, I knew I'd be in serious trouble if he finds it.   

"Valerian" He said, "Where did you hide it?"

"How did you-" No, there is no use. If he knew my name, my past, then of course he knows I'll be here with good back up. 

"There's no use for it now anyway" I said, "Why do you want to kill Mr. Rodriguez?"

 He stopped searching inside my purse and dropped it to the floor. I was certain my foundation bottle must have broken and I tried to swallow the sad lump that formed in my throat. Who does that to makeup? And why did I bother to get my touch-up set for this beast? He even looks like one! Easily, a FOOT taller than me!

"You are not thinking here - major misunderstanding"

I scoffed, "Don't even try! You wanted him to do something for you and since he couldn't, you want to kill him! Give him another chance or just refuse to pay the debt. Why are you gambling with lives?"

"Because that's what I do, Skylar. I gamble with lives" There was a dangerous touch to his tone, "I am known for being ruthless. You are not aware of my personality...yet"

"But like I said" he continued, "Major misunderstanding. How did you think you can kidnap me?"

"Drug you with Valerian and drag you out" Simple and straight.

"Oops!" He stretched and cracked his knuckles, "You are a foot shorter than me and I have security outside. How did you think to carry me out of here?"

That's where Kevin was supposed to step in. I didn't ask the details of their plan. I had too much on my mind already. I was supposed to step in, pretend to keep the vampire engaged. I already had a glass of juice with valerian. The herb must have spread through my blood circulation by now. Even if he bites me, he won't be able to gulp down much and he will weaken. That's when I should retrieve the ampule and use the tiny syringe to inject him. Then, I speed dial Kevin and Claire. They were supposed to take over from there.  

However, I did not tell him all this. I don't know yet if he knew about Claire and Kevin's involvement. If not, then I am not taking them down with me.

"I don't know...I would have figured" I lied.

"Like I said - Brave" He complimented me again. But that's not a compliment, is it?

"Now what?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Kill me. What are you waiting for?" 

Please, don't. I don't want to die.

"I am not going to kill you, Skylar. I have to enlighten you with some facts before."

I frowned.

"First thing - Valerian doesn't have the same effect on all vampires. I am a true blood. I am born to Vampire parents - not converted. So, Valerian can't make me unconscious. There will be pain, yes. But I won't writhe on the floor or go blank"

So, I would have been caught anyway. It's better like this than him turning on me and snapping my neck.

"Second - You are part of a Game in the Game. It's time you realized that"

"Pardon me?" I wet my lips and shook my head, "Game in the Game?"

"Yes" He sat down on the bed after an extensive pacing session, "Mr. Rodriguez did his job. I paid his debt. The deal is done"

"What?" It felt like the whole world around me took a sudden 360 degree shift, "You are lying"

"Why would I?" He pulled his legs up and crossed them, "He is off the hook. I have nothing to do with him now"

"Why did you threaten to kill him then? How sick can you be!?" 

I was suddenly angry. I took the trouble of dressing up, shunned all those fears, put a happy face on and entered the most dangerous place around here - for what? When Mr. Rodriguez had no problem, why didn't he say the same to Claire? 

"I never threatened him. He already knew he'd be dead if he didn't get the work done"

"What did you want?? Diamonds, Arms, Legal information?? What was so precious?"

He stood up and walked to the window from where the light was entering the room. I don't know what he did, but suddenly the electricity in the room came to life. I shut my eyes because of the sudden bright intervention. When I rubbed and finally opened them, he was still standing there, looking out of the window. He had copper colored, straight hair. It's longer than an average man's hair. His back was magnificent and sculpted like a perfect statue. Even more beautiful was the tattoo there.

Right in the middle was a trident that had elaborate detailing. The design was something I never saw before. I wondered if Poseidon's trident looked that beautiful too. Against his white skin, the tattoo was popping out clearly for others to see. 

"You shouldn't have trusted Claire and Kevin" 

He paused briefly before saying, "I didn't want Diamonds. Mr. Rodriguez was supposed to give 'you' to me. I wanted You." 

#DONT FORGET TO VOTE