9. What Next

"Don't worry about me. Let us get out of here first" Delan winced and almost tripped while taking me to the door. I held him by the waist and our eyes met. 

He was trying to swallow the pain and pretend to be strong. But the wounds were deep and the blood won't stop oozing. I know nothing about the vampire anatomy but from what I can see, even they can feel pain when stabbed or cut. He saw me staring at his wounds and quickly averted my attention with reassuring words.

"I will be fine. They will heal - Vampires heal fast"

Contrary to what he said, his white shirt was absorbing the blood quickly and the patches of pink are getting bigger. We quickly exited the room and what I saw outside was a catastrophe. There were guards and brawny men everywhere. They were no one I knew and this designer room was in another wing of the palace. The main lodging and the royal rooms were somewhere else. When we brisk walked through the chaos to step out into the fresh air, I looked around to see the other parts of the palace. The main wing with the King's quarters and our rooms seemed untouched and quiet. I wouldn't know unless I get closer and look inside. But Delan steered me to the other side, away from the palace. 

As we walked, I noticed a few women being ushered towards the gates by guards. They were scared and few even had children tugging at their robes.

"Where are they taking them?" I asked, still semi-supporting Delan's weight. As we kept walking, he was getting weaker.

"To safety. They will be fine. We need to get to the abode. That's where everyone else is. Its like a secret compartment with all the necessary survival goods. In time of war, it is designed to keep the King and family safe"

My eyes widened at the word 'War'.

"There is war?"

"Houses were burnt. People died in huge numbers and we still don't know who the culprit is." He spoke in a single breath. 

I wanted to ask him more. Victoria said that everyone had their suspicions and I couldn't stay quiet with so many buzzing questions. But I could see how he was draining his energy and he won't be able to walk and talk.

"You are not healing, Delan" I pointed out, placing a gentle hand on the gash.

He winced, "Why? Why...the fuck am I not healing!!"

"I wish I could carry you" I blurted out and immediately regretted when he looked at me and burst out laughing. 

"Its usually the guy carrying the girl, right?" He said.

I rolled my eyes, "Now you are sounding like a chavinist pig"

"Ouch!" Though he meant that as a reaction to my insult, I quickly checked to see if his wound was worsening.

It was.

"Delan...how long before we reach the abode?" 

"Do your legs hurt? Its across the corner. I-"

"Stop!" I huffed, "Its you...not me!"

He chuckled, "I have to keep my brother's love interest safe now, right?"

Noah.

With that siren and Delan's state, I almost forgot about Noah. I asked Delan where he was and he said they all have already reached the abode. Noah had to take the others safely so Delan volunteered to get us out. 

When we took a turn, I noticed the land was barren and there was no one - until I noticed the wooden entrance to the underground. When we approached the opening, thunder rumbled and I shrieked.

"It's okay...that's for safety"

As we drew nearer to the entrance, I noticed the buzzing electricity in the air.